Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Evans-Sawtooth-Bierstadt in Reverse

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Evans-Sawtooth-Bierstadt in Reverse

Postby chalupa356 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:03 am

Is there a reason why it seems that people generally climb Mt. Bierstadt first when planning to traverse the sawtooth to Mt. Evans? I want to hike both 14ers from Guanella Pass but want to ascend via the west gully. Is there an additional obstacle that I should plan on resolving?
"In the heart of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

Re: Evans-Sawtooth-Bierstadt in Reverse

Postby Jim Davies » Tue May 22, 2012 6:11 am

Nope, works both ways. You're more likely to get wet feet on the Evans side, so carry extra socks.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby djkest » Tue May 22, 2012 6:27 am

Routefinding is probably more difficult in reverse. Mainly finding the right place to downclimb into the traverse area. And that West gully isn't very nice. Good luck!
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Vids » Tue May 22, 2012 11:44 am

+1 on the west gully sucking, steep with loose gravel for a lot of it. If I had it to do over again I would have gone a little further north and gone up Spalding. We ran into some people that did that instead of the gully and they said it was much easier.

Postby Jim Davies » Tue May 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Read this for some hints on getting to Evans without sinking into the swamp:
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5221&parmpeak=Mt.+Evans&start=100&cpgm
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby chalupa356 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:17 pm

Jim Davies wrote:Read this for some hints on getting to Evans without sinking into the swamp:
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5221&parmpeak=Mt.+Evans&start=100&cpgm

This is fantastic beta. I wouldn't have found it without you sharing it - thanks! I'll test it out on Monday and share what I find.
"In the heart of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus