Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Suggestion for 1st 14er near Breck/Summit County

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Suggestion for 1st 14er near Breck/Summit County

Postby reedgmi » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:29 pm

Looking for a good suggestion for my first 14er in/near Summit County with my 10-year old son in July. He did Breck's Peak 8 last year from the town : 3400' gain to ~13 000' with no problems. We'll be in Breck at 9600' for a week to get used to the altitude, and skiing at 10000 - 11000' has never been a problem for him.

Quandary Peak would be an obvious choice, but I heard it gets quite crowded in the summer? Looking for something a little more off the beaten path, but still a daytrip from a Trailhead.

Any suggestions?

Re: Suggestion for 1st 14er near Breck/Summit County

Postby schrund » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Sherman
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby ChrisFol » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:40 pm

reedgmi wrote:Looking for a good suggestion for my first 14er in/near Summit County with my 10-year old son in July. He did Breck's Peak 8 last year from the town : 3400' gain to ~13 000' with no problems. We'll be in Breck at 9600' for a week to get used to the altitude, and skiing at 10000 - 11000' has never been a problem for him.

Quandary Peak would be an obvious choice, but I heard it gets quite crowded in the summer? Looking for something a little more off the beaten path, but still a daytrip from a Trailhead.

Any suggestions?

Pretty much all of the generally suggested "first 14ers" near Breck (Quandary, Sherman, Democrat/Cameron/Lincoln etc) get crowded in the summer, it is their nature.

If you are willing to travel a couple of hours then perhaps Huron would fit the bill.
-Chris

Postby Andymcp1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:42 pm

In my experience Sherman has been a great mountain for photos. Who knows why its not the prettiest mountain in the world, but with the cool mining ruins and unique cloud formations that have been there all 4 times I have been there, I have taken my favorite 14er pics there.

Decalibron is cool for the simple fact you get to do 4 14ers in one day. ( look into private property rules regarding bross: use Bills proposed summit if you choose to add it on)

If you don't mind a few hours driving ( round trip), I would do Huron. Great views, relatively easy, and still pretty close.

Andy

Postby linuxsurfer » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:42 pm

I have hiked Democrat/Lincoln/Bross, Sherman, and Quandary, and my suggestion with be Sherman or Quandary. The others are a lot steeper, which may not be the greatest for a first choice.

I agree that any of them will be crowded around July/August, but if you start early (5:00am), you will not only avoid most of the crowds, you will also put yourself in a better position to avoid bad weather. Good luck and have a great trip!

Postby MountainMedic » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:29 pm

I second Huron. 6.75 miles round trip if you have 4WD. Sure, it's steep for a mile, but it's the easiest peak in the Sawatch and it's got absolutely incredible views. Great bang for the buck, and you'll probably see around 20 people as opposed to 200.

While I can't speak to Sherman as I haven't climbed it, Quandary is quite possibly the easiest 14er but gets PACKED. Democrat/Cameron/Lincoln/Bross might be a good choice...they don't get crowded until around six or seven, so if you get an early start around five and take the typical route (Democrat first), you might beat the crowds, not to mention that you'll get 4 summits (well, maybe 3.5). Good luck!