Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14ers Road Trip 6/12

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: 14ers Road Trip 6/12

Postby aussie56 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:55 pm

Ditto on lake city as far as photo ops go - the area aroung Uncompaghre and Wetterhorn is amazing. But if you are in a Miata you will be facing looooong approach hikes to those trailheads 0 they are tough in my XTerra. Add in snow and you will be looking at long days.

Postby tylermcken92 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:08 am

Thanks guys. We will try to check out as much as we can while we are there. As for the Miata holding us back from alot places, we dont really mind. We are actually looking forward to long hiking days :D

Postby tylermcken92 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Are there any trails that take a good 3 to 5 days of backpacking to complete that reach the top of different 14ers?

Postby gonzalj » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:29 pm

tylermcken92 wrote:Are there any trails that take a good 3 to 5 days of backpacking to complete that reach the top of different 14ers?

The only one I can think of is for chicago basin, but normally people take the train from silverton to durango and get off at the needleton stop and hike in from there and that would definitely take 3 to 5 days to get all 4 14ers that are there. Although, be advised those are hard 14ers and your generally dealing with class 3 & 4 terrain. You could also take the vallecito approach that would not require a train, but the roundtrip distance is much longer (17 miles roundtrip from needleton train stop vs. 36 miles roundtrip from vallecito)

Postby tylermcken92 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:30 pm

I think class 3 and 4 are a bit out of our league for first timers.

Postby Mel McKinney » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:23 pm

Not necessarily a 3 to 5 day backpack, but you can backpack into Missouri Gulch and then hike Belford, Oxford & Missouri. The trailheads for Huron and La Plata are in the area too within driving distance. Or split it into 2 backpacking trips, one in Missouri Gulch the other in Horn Fork Basin for Harvard and Columbia.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby peter303 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:56 pm

tylermcken92 wrote:Are there any trails that take a good 3 to 5 days of backpacking to complete that reach the top of different 14ers?

As you can see many of the 14ers are in clusters. Sometimes you can set up a base camp and do them over a couple of days. Note from topo map that "nearby" peaks are sometimes on opposite sides of steep divides and not really traversible as the crow flies.

I suggest looking at the Sawatches. None is super difficult. Most have free camping near their trailheads. They are near Leadville Buena Vista, and Salida where you eat a cooked meal and take shower on a camping break. Start where Roaches' guidebook calls the "classic trail". There usuually is a worn trail most of the way. Although you should have route-finding backup of topo map, compass and GPS waypoints, you may not need to use these on the classic trails on a clear day.

There are the Colorado Trail, the Leadville 100 race trails, and the Continental Divide trails in this area. I couldnt really find a good online map showing their proximity to the main 14ers trails. (Another task for Bill?). Besides if you follow these you may have some slack days inbetween 14ers. You can do a 14er every day driving to the the trailhead.

Previous