Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Intro to class 3

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Intro to class 3

Postby Matt Lemke » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:41 pm

I apologize if anyone actually took my suggestion for Ice Mountain as advice

Holy cow for people who know me personally, they know I never give advice :lol:

I was simply stating the only feasible class 3 routes in the Sawatch Range.

Maybe I should have said to the OP to avoid the Sawatch altogether...let it be said. There are no class 3 routes in the Sawatch worth doing except the two I mentioned before which are not good first runs.
Whatever you do, you are getting into the right hobby. :D

And to answer previous questions, I have not climbed Ice yet but I do have a few friends, all of which capable and comfortable of soloing Jagged or the Wham tell me that they grossly overestimated Ice.

They went into that mountain way over-prepared gear wise and mentally and they were actually disappointed at how easy it was.
These friends of mine I have climbed with many times and I know their comfort levels and when one told me it was similar to the ridge on Eagles Nest I know exactly what to expect when I do Ice.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby JeffR » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:16 pm

Matt, here's my personal take on Ice:

I'm not much of a climber, and 2 things turned me back when I got about 100' below the summit. The rock is often wet and indescribably rotten (which might not be so terrible if not for the exposure) and it's very easy to get above Class 3 without some decent route-finding experience. If a person can deal with both of those issues then I agree that it's probably not an intensely bad Class 3.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"

Postby Brian Thomas » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:46 pm

JeffR wrote:it's very easy to get above Class 3 without some decent route-finding experience

That was me in 2010, when I turned back just below summit of the Ice Mountain.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby ChrisRoberts » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:35 pm

Matt Lemke wrote:I apologize if anyone actually took my suggestion for Ice Mountain as advice

Holy cow for people who know me personally, they know I never give advice :lol:

I was simply stating the only feasible class 3 routes in the Sawatch Range.

Then dont masquerade it as you did, because it didnt help anything and made you look like an idiot.

A good rule of thumb is to NEVER recommend a mountain more difficult than class 2 that you havent personally climbed. Thats common sense.
Last edited by ChrisRoberts on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: DeCaLibron

Postby Jesse M » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:31 pm

'Good' intro to class 3?

I could see this being a 'good' plan, but a 'superior' September.

1. Pikes-crags route
2. Yale-east ridge
3. Father Dyer-Crystal
4. Pacific-east ridge
5. Sneffels-standard route-(maybe SW ridge)
6. Wetterhorn
7. "sawtooth"
8. "Kelso"
9. Longs
Last edited by Jesse M on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby forbins_mtn » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:51 pm

coming from someone who started this past year: i spent the summer doing just hikes, and then ended with Long's Keyhole. Routefinding is incredibly easy, I had a blast!, I never felt out of my league, and it only left me with a feeling that i wanted to do more, and push myself into harder mountains.

Long's goes down as one of the greatest experiences of my life, and not just based on the climb - but the positive energy i felt afterwards. i knew it was going to long and epic - but afterwards i felt such exhilaration that has left me obsessed with climbing mountains. highly recommend Long's for an intro to Class 3.

Postby Tory Wells » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Wow, this thread is a mess. #-o

To the OP...it is fair to say you can ignore all advice on this forum from live4pc and DeucesWild, as they killed their credibility with us long ago.

Otherwise, there are some good suggestions here for you to start your own research. Read lots of trip reports, read Bill's route descriptions as well as Gerry Roach's. Pick a route that you're comfortable with.

Then go have fun. \:D/
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby kimo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:09 pm

Longs was my first third-class route back in August '09. Changed my world. Longs showed me that mountains are beautiful and a lot of fun. Just follow the buIlseyes...they're reassuring and give peace of mind over and around the rock. It's long in mileage so be prepared. And if you hear wind rushing through the Keyhole, don't be discouraged. Go take a close look - you might be suprised by what is on the otherside. It truly is a keyhole.

Kelso Ridge on Torreys was my second third-class route just a week later. It was every bit as fun as Longs, with the added adventure of an unmarked but easy to follow route. Also shorter in length and less physically exhausting than Longs.

From there I moved into the IPW (Indian Peaks Wilderness) where good route finding on those scrambly peaks is paramount.

Since you've been on Buffalo Mtn, I'll assume you aren't exclusive to 14ers, which is good, because there are many 12ers and 13ers out there that don't have the stature of a 14er but are every bit as fun, especially if you have a good head and wits about you, and you want some adventure.

Postby DeucesWild » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:19 pm

Ah, Tory, it pains me to know that you hold me in such low esteem. I won't be sleeping well tonight.

If you would be willing to think while reading, you might find that you could learn something from even those you don't like. But I suppose in your profession it's hard to see past your initial impressions...

Whitney Peak is indeed a class five peak that can be climbed by nearly anyone. A walk-up except for the summit boulder which is only eight feet high.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby Tory Wells » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:23 pm

DeucesWild wrote:Ah, Tory, it pains me to know that you hold me in such low esteem. I won't be sleeping well tonight.

If you would be willing to think while reading, you might find that you could learn something from even those you don't like. But I suppose in your profession it's hard to see past your initial impressions...

Whitney Peak is indeed a class five peak that can be climbed by nearly anyone. A walk-up except for the summit boulder which is only eight feet high.

The OP asked for class 3 suggestions. Not 5.

Take this as a challenge, Mr Wild, and show us that you have some value to this community and are more than just a troll. If you would like to discuss this further, please do so by PM, as we've already derailed this thread enough. Why does that always seem to happen in threads that you respond to???
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby Brian Thomas » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:58 pm

forbins_mtn wrote:coming from someone who started this past year: i spent the summer doing just hikes, and then ended with Long's Keyhole. Routefinding is incredibly easy, I had a blast!, I never felt out of my league, and it only left me with a feeling that i wanted to do more, and push myself into harder mountains.

Long's goes down as one of the greatest experiences of my life, and not just based on the climb - but the positive energy i felt afterwards

+1. After doing Longs' Keyhole route in July 2010 I got the fever and went back for Longs' Loft two weeks later, then Capitol two weeks after that.

Tory Wells wrote:show us that you have some value to this community and are more than just a troll

My response to this is to invite the alleged troll to come hiking with us, we have a trip planned for Bison Peak ten days from now. This time last year I started a thread about doing a Little Bear snow climb that a forum troll derailed into oblivion, but when I invited he/she/it to actually go hiking, they subsequently disappeared...
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby Jesse M » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:12 pm

Please don't chase away Deuce. I like his strange humor!

PreviousNext