Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Very much a newbie

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Very much a newbie

Postby SES_17 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:41 am

A vote for simplicity. Hiking is hiking and the more you hike, the easier it becomes. Find some trails that you enjoy and hike them as often as you can. Challenge yourself with tougher hikes now and then but most importantly... have fun. If you don't like a particular trail don't do it. Personaly, I like trees and elevation gain, but do whatever makes you happy and keep doing it.
If you can't fix it with duct tape... it's broke.

Postby LetsGoHigher » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:54 am

SeracZack wrote:I've also found that a good way to train for the 14ers is to actually hike them. Do the winter conditioning, walking, jogging, bike, etc. and then pick a few easy hikes for this summer. These easy hikes don't necessarily need to be 14ers, but there are a few easier ones that come to mind and stick to those. The most important part is to get out there and have fun doing it!

Completely agree. Not to imply that 14ers don't require training but there are some class 1's that I think would be a good work out that would be doable at this point and help you get in shape for some tougher ones later. Plus you'd get a couple summits under your belt which would be great and help give you more motivation to continue training for other ones.

Best of luck!
Is that the summit?

Postby edhaman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:06 pm

You didn't give any information about your current physical condition, which may make a difference in what you need to do to get in shape. At age 44, coming from Florida where we did regular gym workouts, with no real hiking experience, my wife and I climbed Mt. Elbert. It was a 12-hour day and it kicked our butts, however, it was fun. So, unless you are seriously out-of-shape, there is no reason to wait a whole year for your first 14er. My choice at the gym for preparation for 14ers is the StairMaster (as part of a well-rounded workout). I'm sure it's not recommended by personal trainers, but to get the quads involved I'd do about 5 minutes on the StairMaster climbing backwards. This will also increase a sense of balance. Of course, it's much more enjoyable to do something outside, like hiking, biking, snowshoeing...

Postby peter303 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:44 pm

edhaman wrote:So, unless you are seriously out-of-shape, there is no reason to wait a whole year for your first 14er.

I'd recommend the first during the "summer season" June - September. Cold, snow, and ice add another layer of preparations. If one starts working on their cardio now, and does some lower hikes in the Spring, then there should be a problem with the upcoming summer.

Postby nanook01 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:50 pm

Thanks everyone for all their awesome tips! I use to be an athlete but these past few years have packed on 30 pounds. I'm hoping a diligent work out regiment will help get my but in gear! I never thought just to.do the hikes to get me kick started as well. Some good advice for muscle preparation too. I've considered my leg and back muscles and need to.gain strength there as well as my core. Again thanks folks for the awesome advice. I'm excited to get kick started!!!

Postby forbins_mtn » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:58 pm

and i didn't put in my response, but there is absolutely no reason to train for a whole year before hiking a 14er. there's no clock on these hikes. you can stop anytime freaking time you want to! you'll see: when you get out on a front range 14er on a weekend summer day, there will be dozens of people that you'll be like. "Holy s**t, you're making it up this thing?!" and they do!!

Previous