Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Newbie here

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Newbie here

Postby SeracZack » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:21 pm

Hello all! I have been cruising around this site for some time using the abundant resources here as a visitor and though I might as well join.

A little about me:
I am a Colorado native
Never skied before (that's right, never. But I am changing that this winter!)
I have climbed four 14ers thus far with many more to come
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Re: Newbie here

Postby Winter8000m » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:16 pm

Welcome to the site! I myself have never skied either. (CO native too) 8)
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Postby Matt Lemke » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:22 pm

Your mountain addiction starts here! I haven't ever skied either but plan to change that this winter...but I'm not a CO native. :D
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby gonzalj » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:37 pm

Welcome to the fun addiction that is climbing 14ers. Enjoy them as well as your future ski endeavors. I have skied before, but am actually just restarting after 4 and a half years after a bad ankle accident I had. Hopefully in some time, i'll be able to ski a couple of thsoe 14ers.

Postby BobbyFinn » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:07 am

Welcome!
"Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." - Yoda
"Rudeness is a weak person's imitation of strength." - Paul Arel

Postby EZSide » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:08 am

Welcome.

Not a native, and don't get to visit CO enough. However, I have skiied since about 1971. I lived on a hill overlooking Black River in central WI. One Christmas I got skis - wood - steel edges screwed on - with latch-down bindings into which I could wedge my winter boots. I would ski down, walk up all afternoon. Sometimes through the trees, sometimes in the pasture where I had to aim at the gates to miss the barb wire (a WI cliff-out!) Later, with the control of used downhill boots - I lived for the wet snow / ice storms which left a hard crust so I could build some decent speed (the hill wasn't that steep but it was longer - just not enough elevation to be both steep and long in the area).

Only today, with your post, did I realize I grew up BC skiing. Never thought about the BC / Free ride thread through my life which is destine to re-appear.

Thanks for the memory *bump*
"There are times when the most complicated actions are suddenly summed up, distilled, and strike you with illuminating clarity" - Maurice Herzog

Postby SeracZack » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:12 am

Thanks for the welcoming! I found it interesting how the topic really turned to skiing, even though I didn't mean for that. I usually just got funny looks when I told people I had never been skiing and I am a Colorado native! Oh well, skiing has been about 26 years over due or so, and everyday I keep wanting more snow so I can get up there. Not to mention, climb a few winter 14ers this year as well!
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:16 pm

SeracZack wrote: Not to mention, climb a few winter 14ers this year as well!

Welcome! You could start here (this weekend!): viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32319
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby SeracZack » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:33 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:
SeracZack wrote: Not to mention, climb a few winter 14ers this year as well!

Welcome! You could start here (this weekend!): viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32319

Yeah I saw that thread, really hoping I could have made that one except I have a prior engagement that day. I am currently planning on Mt. Elbert for Sunday (10/30) but with up 24" of fresh snow expected and no snow shoes yet, I may have to reconsider.
-Helen Keller