Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Newbie here. I want to climb them all!

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Newbie here. I want to climb them all!

Postby centrifuge » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Welcome to the insanity! :) The best place to start is probably here, so great first step. In addition to the incredible site Mr. Middlebrook has provided us with here, there are a lot of people with a ton of info about the peaks.
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Postby gonzalj » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:22 pm

Welcome to the site and the addiction of the journey to stand atop all of them eventually. First word of advice I can give is start easier and work your way up, but I think getting a good variety of different difficulties over the course of a season is a good practice to get yourself prepared.

Postby chrismjx » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:35 pm

I just started in May, and I've done 4, which seemed to work out really well for me. I started with Mt. Bierstadt, then did Mts. Lincoln, Cameron (not really a 14er technically but I think a lot of people still count it :) and Bross (which is closed, so don't tell anybody!). We would have done Democrat too, but got chased off the mountain by a storm. Have fun!

Postby Monster5 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Wait hold on... Weren't we going to start somebody off climbing them in order of elevation? She said she's in shape. She has to start with Elbert - we aren't allowing her the choice!
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich

Postby Tommy Dorr » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:51 pm

Haha, nice. Start looking at the cenntenials now, always obey the 3000ft rule, always take a "classic" route and send money to 14ers.com

Postby Matt Lemke » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:06 pm

Tommy Dorr wrote:Haha, nice. Start looking at the cenntenials now, always obey the 3000ft rule, always take a "classic" route and send money to 14ers.com

Don't know about others here but I will take full advantage of "vehicular cheating" when possible to avoid the long "slogs" in the Sawatch.

The 3000 foot rule isn't mandatory and it also depends on your view of how you want to get the 14ers.

Me, just get to the top...the funner the route the better. A 5000 foot slog on a long road isn't specially "fun".

Enjoy the 14ers though...it truly is an addiction. Do the 13ers too! :D
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby gdthomas » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:15 pm

Start climbing in mid to late June. Spend the winter/spring accumulating gear (including the ten essentials), studying the 14ers and their routes, learning about weather, and getting in even better shape. It wouldn't hurt to find a partner either. All of these things can be done on this site. Enjoy.

Postby Jules246 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:26 pm

I just moved here last year and started the 14ers this summer/fall, so far only have 2 (Pikes and Elbert), and probably going to have to wait till June(ish) to start climbing again (unfortunately, due to lack of snow climbing gear + lack of snow climbing knowledge/experience). Wondering whereabouts you're moving to? Would love to find a regular hiking partner come Spring to conquer these mountains with! :) PM me if you're interested. I don't have near as much experience as many others on this site, but best advice I can give is being prepared with the proper gear (specifically the ten esstensials as mentioned before), and proper knowledge (routes, map & compass reading, weather, etc). Have fun, Colorado is an amazing place!!

Postby jpfeif001 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:03 pm

Used to climb back in the 90's, a lot but then had 3 daughters + a fourth (step daughter). Now that they are all old enough I have started climbing again. Made the mistake of thinking I was 20 and went for Longs again, didn't make it the first go around. Slowed down briefly and did Bierstadt with 3 out of 4 kids, then went back and made Longs with my 8 year old (who kicked my ass doing it). Definitly know when you need to turn around. If you start feeling the signs of altitude sickness, take a break to clear your head, drink lots of water and make sure you have high energy food. Most of all, have fun with it. Its highly addictive and you will just want more and more. Remember that 14K is not always necessary, the smaller mountains are a blast too. Be safe about it and remember, the people on this site know a ton of stuff.
The spaces between is where I reside, In the moment is where I live, and my family and friends are who I love.

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:30 pm

I started this year too - and I can truly say it's addicting. I had the goal of doing all the Front Range mountains this year and I'm two short. but Evans on Sunday and Quandary over Halloween weekend for the 14ers.com Winter Welcoming will complete them.

But I'll be honest: what are the 10 essentials? I'm sure I have them, but I've never seen a list. Good luck OP with your adventure! It's so amazing to be on top of a peak. So pretty, so peaceful, and so exhilerati

Postby Matt Lemke » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:33 pm

forbins_mtn wrote:I started this year too - and I can truly say it's addicting. I had the goal of doing all the Front Range mountains this year and I'm two short. but Evans on Sunday and Quandary over Halloween weekend for the 14ers.com Winter Welcoming will complete them.

But I'll be honest: what are the 10 essentials? I'm sure I have them, but I've never seen a list. Good luck OP with your adventure! It's so amazing to be on top of a peak. So pretty, so peaceful, and so exhilerati

Quandary is in the Tenmile Range... :wink:
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby roguejackalope » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:46 pm

forbins_mtn wrote:But I'll be honest: what are the 10 essentials? I'm sure I have them, but I've never seen a list.

You've never looked very hard? ... google?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Essentials

To the OP... you've started in the right place, good luck, have fun, don't be afraid to ask questions, take much of the advice you get with a grain of salt, and don't hesitate to climb something fun because it doesn't meet certain criteria. :D

We'll see you out there.
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin

Next