Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt Lindsey for a intro to more difficult routes?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Mt Lindsey for a intro to more difficult routes?

Postby Justin9 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:02 pm

I have began climbing the 14ers this year and believe I am ready for some more difficult terrain. After hitting the decalibron, antero, princeton and quandary without any issue or concern, I was thinking of attempting mt lindsey. After reading a whole lot of trip reports and weighing my options, I would take the north face route (standard). What is everyone's opinion on this? Would it be a good intro to more difficulty or should I try something different? Thanks for the input!

Re: Mt Lindsey for a intro to more difficult routes?

Postby doggler » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:17 am

Lindsey's standard route is a good bridge into more fun stuff. Definitely not just a walk-up, but totally doable. Go for it.

If you want more or other "intro" options...Wetterhorn via the standard route. Sneffels, also via the standard route (although ascending the Lavender Col sucks, not difficult just unpleasant) Though I've somehow never gotten around to either of them, Front Range routes like the Sawtooth or Torrey's Kelso Ridge could also work.

Enjoy!

Postby milan » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:21 am

Be careful there, the rock is rotten at many places, try every hold and step. The gully is steep and loose, you may consider to climb on the right side over more solid rock. In my personal opinion, I was happy there to have more previous experience with class 3 hikes and technical climbs on the rope. I originally though its just another class 2 but this was difficult to me at that point. Particularly because I don't like scree and loose rock. For a transition to more difficult peaks I' d rather reccomend Sneffels, Blanca, Ellingwood pt., Castle and for class 3 Wetterhorn, Bierstadt/Sawtooth/Evans....and if you can last long then Challenger point(also scree)/Kit Carson.

Postby bethtrombone » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:25 am

The crux on LIndsey was my first class 4 climb (though there's one class 4 pitch on Longs that I did). I thought it was a really good first one, nice solid rock and the exposure wasn't too daunting. Good luck and have fun!
I can and will remind you of two of the most important facts I know:
1. Everything is part of the mystery.
2. It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
-Tom Robbins

Postby LetsGoHigher » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:58 am

Lindsey was my first 14er ever. It had been selected by a friend and I hadn't really looked into it much to know what I was getting myself into. I was in reasonable shape but I wouldn't have called myself "fit" by any means. It was definitely a challenge and there were times that I could think of a 1,000 other places I'd rather be. If one person in my 7-man party had dropped out, I would have been the first to follow but didn't want to be the first to say anything about how difficult it was. In the end, everyone made it, but it was super tough. The steep places don't have switchbacks for the most part and as said before, the gully has some junky rock on it that looks good but might come apart in your hand.

You can totally do it. Just be prepared and use extreme caution in the gully. If you have a helmet, I'd recommend it for the gully. I didn't have one back then and wished that I did because there were rocks coming down on us from crews above.

Also, there are good campsites leading up to the TH and it is one of the most beautiful places I've camped. Enjoy!
Is that the summit?

Postby SurfNTurf » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:26 am

I'll echo what Sean said. Get on some of the "starter" Class 3 routes, like Kelso Ridge. Or hit Wetterhorn if you want a combination of solid rock, exposure and Class 3. The Crestones aren't a bad choice, either.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Derek » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:41 am

I probably wouldn't choose it as your first, not because of the difficulty but because its pretty loose and (in my opinion) not all that fun. For your first, it seems like you would want a fun route. Just to clarify, I'm talking about the standard route up the gully. I ascended via the class 3 (heard it rated as 4?) ridge, but descended the standard route. If/when I repeat this hike, I will be taking the ridge back down too. That gully was just not fun.

Again, just my opinion, but there are a lot of better routes of similar difficulty that would be MUCH more enjoyable as a first "bridge" climb. As mentioned above, Wetterhorn was good, I always enjoy Kelso Ridge on Torreys, Father Dyer...

[quote="SurfNTurf]The Crestones aren't a bad choice, either.[/quote]
I'd agree with this. The needle crossover might be a bit tough for someone just starting, but the peak was pretty straightforward and solid.

Again, just my opinion because I hate loose junk. :)

--D
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby MichiganBrian » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:48 am

Derek wrote:I probably wouldn't choose it as your first, not because of the difficulty but because its pretty loose and (in my opinion) not all that fun. For your first, it seems like you would want a fun route. Just to clarify, I'm talking about the standard route up the gully. I ascended via the class 3 (heard it rated as 4?) ridge, but descended the standard route. If/when I repeat this hike, I will be taking the ridge back down too. That gully was just not fun.

+1

Postby Justin9 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:51 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. This is exactly why I love this forum...honest opinions!

Postby Rcizzle » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:41 pm

In my opinion, the class 4 route on Lindsey as described on this website was easier than the standard (I went up the class 4 went down the 2). I don't think it would demand much experience especially since there are so many options up and around the rock. It looks intimidating but the scenery changes alot when you actually get there. I say this because I would take solid rock over scree slopes/gullies ANY DAY! Scree slopes are hard on shoes! One way you can curb inexperience is with knowledge and information. Studying before hand your route is very important as well as bringing pictures from this website to help you route find. Eventually, you'll grow out of needing them and just wing it. I think Lindsey is a good place to start class 3/4 rock climbing because the rock is solid and bypasses the scree, is easy to navigate (just remember to keep going up), and somehow several people choose the standard route over this one. If you aren't comfortable with some exposure ignore this whole post lol. Happy climbing.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Postby Kitten » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:10 pm

bethtrombone wrote:The crux on LIndsey was my first class 4 climb (though there's one class 4 pitch on Longs that I did). I thought it was a really good first one, nice solid rock and the exposure wasn't too daunting. Good luck and have fun!

Was that on the standard route? I don't recall any class 4 moves there. I would recommend Linsdey as an intro. I would not recommend the Crestones yet though, and as for Wetterhorn I myself found it more difficult than Lindsey, so I would be cautious on that one. But everyone is different and several types of terrain might seem different as well.
Last edited by Kitten on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.

Postby edhaman » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:25 pm

I would suggest Lindsey before going to class 3 routes like the Sawtooth or Kelso Ridge. If someone gets freaked-out on the standard class 2 route on Lindsey, they would most likely have big problems with those class 3 routes. And DO bring (and wear) a helmet.

Next