Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

should I bring my dog on Mt. Princeton?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

should I bring my dog on Mt. Princeton?

Postby navychaps18 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:18 am

I'm planning on hiking mt princeton in late September. I would love to bring my siberian husky, I have no doubt that he has plenty of energy and stamina to complete the hike as we run long distances several times a week. I'm just wondering if the trail on Princeton is ideal or even possible for a dog to do. Any advice is appreciated, thank you in advance for responding.

Re: should I bring my dog on Mt. Princeton?

Postby gonzalj » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:22 am

I haven't done princeton yet, but would say that it somewhat depends on where you're starting. If you're starting from the 4wd TH by the radio towers, then I would say you should be fine. I just hiked massive via the SW slopes this past weekend (8 mile RT and almost 4000' of elevation gain) and saw a couple who took their husky up to the summit. If you're starting at the 2wd princeton TH, then that hike is ridiculously long and would think twice personally.

Postby Eagle eye 1 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:32 am

Put yourself in your dogs shoes, (pads) would you want to be close to HOT ground, feeling the heat from the rocks as well as the sun???? Not a good idea. I have seen more dogs totally exhausted from thier masters not thinking about them on the high mountains. Some have been near death. Think about it.

Postby LetsGoHigher » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:34 am

We just got some dog booties for our dogs for just such purposes. They've done 3 14ers now and struggled the most on Blanca because of all the scree and talus, which was rough on their feet. Look at trail pics and if there is a lot of rock, leave the pooch at home unless you are going to protect the feet.
Is that the summit?

Postby highpilgrim » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:39 am

The last time I climbed Princeton, some people climbed it with their black lab. The dog summitted and then bled from its pads leaving a bloody trail all the way down the mountain.

No one was happy. Especially the dog.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby crazyjcrowe » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:43 am

I took my dog up Princeton three weeks ago with no problems. She didn't have booties, however, she's a terrier/boxer mix and probably weights about 20-25 pounds, which I'm guessing is substantially lighter than your husky. I think lighter dogs tend to do better on these hikes, but if your husky is fit enough (which it sounds like he/she is) I'm guessing he/she will be fine.

Postby Built-to-Last » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:44 am

We hiked Princeton with my Brittany and friends Husky, they did really well, but there were a few times I had to pick my dog up. There is no water on the trail, so bring twice as much water as you think is necessary, had just enough water but barely, it was really hot that day.
"So many roads I know, So many roads to ease my soul". - R. Hunter

Christopher Dumit

Postby mattpayne11 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:50 pm

I hate to be the naysayer here since I have done a 13er with my dog before, but really the missing statement from this thread is how will the dog impact other hikers? On some mountains, having a dog on the mountain presents a real safety risk, in my opinion. It is hard enough controlling your own movements and not having rocks fall on others let alone controlling your dog. Just some thoughts on it.

Postby Built-to-Last » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:10 pm

The day that I went the trail was not crowded and in my opinion the dogs did not cause any safety risk to ourselves or other hikers. It was class 2 hiking, so the dogs were not knocking rocks down on other people, but if it is causing an issue make sure you have a leash. The only reason I had to pick my pup up was there were a few large step ups from one big rock to the next.
"So many roads I know, So many roads to ease my soul". - R. Hunter

Christopher Dumit

Postby highpilgrim » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Built-to-Last wrote:but if it is causing an issue make sure you have a leash.

I think what you're saying is just bring a leash and use it?

Others don't always like your dog and it makes sense to remember that.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby lakecityrat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:58 pm

Be sure and bring booties. I had to carry my dog all the way down Princeton a few years ago because her paws had been cut on the rocks. Not fund descending 3 miles with a 50 lb. dog in a fireman's carry. Other than that, you should have no problems.
"Life's been good to me so far" - JW

Postby Canadian in Colorado » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:45 pm

I would not hike my dog on all of the talus rock of princeton...Class 1 only for my pooch
If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains...you're lucky enough.

Next