Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

1st 14er - Mt Massive

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

1st 14er - Mt Massive

Postby tjwildcat » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:02 am

How would you rate Mt Massive for a first climb. We live in KY and will be in Aurora Aug 19-21 and plan to stay an extra day to make the climb. Massive looked like a good choice because of the relatively low degree of difficulty and limited exposure. We're both in fairly good shape and I'll be training to run in a Warrior Dash the week before.

Thoughts?

ETA, apologies if redundant.

Re: 1st 14er - Mt Massive

Postby MtHurd » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:26 am

Not a bad choice. My recommended route would be the Southwest Slopes. Shorter and more scenic than the standard East Slopes, although steeper. Not really all that steep in my opinion except in some very short sections.

Postby tjwildcat » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:35 am

The SW slopes is my choice. I'm debating/leaning towards staying in Leadville on Sunday night rather then South Denver that night and driving out Monday morning. We're leaving on Tuesday so we have all day but weather can be an issue in the afternoon from what I've read here?

Postby MtHurd » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:47 am

tjwildcat wrote:The SW slopes is my choice. I'm debating/leaning towards staying in Leadville on Sunday night rather then South Denver that night and driving out Monday morning. We're leaving on Tuesday so we have all day but weather can be an issue in the afternoon from what I've read here?

I would stay in Leadville if you can. That's what I did last year. I began my hike at 5 a.m. Yes, storms could be a problem being that it is monsoon season, so the earlier you start, the better. Just don't miss the right turn a couple of miles up the trail. Last September there was a sign there which made it easy even in the dark but you never know when those signs can be taken out.

Postby temptnmonkey » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Everyone is going to tell you that you are going to want to be off the summit and heading down by 11:00 am or noon (to avoid the inevitable afternoon storms). Staying in Leadville will allow you to get a comfortable early start, and the sleep at extra elevation won't hurt. Just prepare by reading the routes and trip reports and you should be ok!

Postby JayMiller » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:38 pm

The only problem with the SW slopes is that you need 4 wheel drive and good clearance to get to the trail head. With that it's a good first climb.

Postby MtHurd » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:18 pm

2-wheel drive with reasonable clearance should get you up there unless the road is muddy.

Postby mountain_man » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:39 pm

temptnmonkey wrote:...Staying in Leadville will allow you to get a comfortable early start, and the sleep at extra elevation won't hurt. ...

Leadville is a pretty cool town. Make sure to do some tourist action while you're there.

Barry Raven wrote:2-wheel drive with reasonable clearance should get you up there unless the road is muddy.

Did they improve it in the last 2 years? I could make it to the east slopes trail head quite easily, but the sw slopes had a road that prevented my Honda from making it all the way.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver

Postby PaliKona » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:11 pm

Just did the SW route..the last half mile of the road is pretty rough so I'd recommend 4x4...otherwise, park there and walk to the trailhead. Also, the sign in the meadow is there, so the right turn is hard to miss. It is steep but a really fun and gorgeous hike. Enjoy.

Postby gonzalj » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:20 pm

Just out of curiosity, could a 4wd ridgeline make it all the way up to the 4wd SW slope TH? I'm planning on doing this route in like 2 and a half weeks, so figured I would ask.

Postby MtHurd » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:20 am

gonzalj wrote:Just out of curiosity, could a 4wd ridgeline make it all the way up to the 4wd SW slope TH? I'm planning on doing this route in like 2 and a half weeks, so figured I would ask.

Yes. And when I say it is a 2-wheel drive road, I don't mean a Civic or Accord could drive it. It's rough so you need some ground clearance, but unless the road has changed you shouldn't need 4x4. I took a 4x4 up there but never put it in 4-wheel drive.

Postby tjwildcat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:57 am

I'll be in a company paid rental car so probably a Yugo. We'll probably have to walk the last 1/2 mile. But then it's a rental, so why not?

j/k

Getting my wife out of bed and on the trail by 5:00 AM is going to be tough I think. How popular is this one? Should we expect plenty of other people on a Monday?

Also Leadville does look pretty cool we'll definitely stay there.

Next