Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Grand Junction

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Grand Junction

Postby mark39 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:04 am

what are the easiest 14ers not far from the Western Slope???? =P~

Re: Grand Junction

Postby kaiman » Thu May 19, 2011 9:25 am

mark39 wrote:what are the easiest 14ers not far from the Western Slope???? =P~

Uncomphagre, Sunshine, Redcloud, Handies, and San Luis (San Juans) in the Lake City/Creede area are probably the easiest ones near Grand Junction (about 2-3 hours away). Castle and Conundrum in the Elk Range by Aspen are also within a couple of hours of GJ and fairly easy to climb.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Postby Garrett » Fri May 20, 2011 9:37 am

Sneffels is the closest 14er to Grand Junction and can be a short approach depending on how far you drive up the road. Probably more difficult than others listed but still very doable if you give yourself an early start. The amount of time it takes to get you to Sunshine, Redcloud, or Handies could also get you to any of the Collegiate peaks or Ten mile/mosquito peaks. Basically you have lots of options. Probably any of the peaks in those two ranges would be good. I would shy away from the elks until you get a hand full of other peaks done.

Also I'm from Junction so if you have any questions send an email to garrett_em@hotmail.com and I can give you my phone number or meet up with you in town

Postby Sky » Fri May 20, 2011 1:18 pm

I'd be down for joining you guys for a hike. 13er/14er. I live in Delta.
"It is better to have and not need, then to need and not have"

"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go"