Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New, and very novice hiker

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: New, and very novice hiker

Postby Carl » Fri May 13, 2011 1:58 pm

awake wrote:
Craig Cook wrote:I'm not afraid of heights, but I'm also not comfortable (at this point) with some things I've seen, such as this photo taken by Carl in his trip report for Longs Peak;

I guess my concern is if the guys in this photo are hooked to anything at this point (they are in other portions of the TR), but if not, it would take a lot of acclimation for me to do that.

Just want to make sure you know, this picture isn't actually from the standard Class 3 Keyhole route. 8) In the trip report, it's listed as a Class 5.5/5.6.

Yeah, I definitely had a rope in that picture. In fact, it was my turn to be belayed up, so a fall (in theory) would have been entirely insignificant. Hence the photo taking. Unless you're really off route there shouldn't be anything like that on the standard route. I'll add a note to my TR to make it clearer that this is a different route.

Postby ontopoftheworld » Fri May 13, 2011 2:56 pm

The standard route up Longs has nothing even remotely in the same vicinity as that picture. As was mentioned, that picture is way, way above class 3. If you're not afraid of heights then you really have nothing to worry about in regards to most class 3 routes. Class 3 is really not very technical. The part that makes it more nerve-racking is the fact that often times, you are performing class 3 moves in an area with some exposure. If you performed the same moves on a rock in your backyard, you would have absolutely no problem and might even say it's kind of boring.

I have yet to do it, but many people say that one of the scariest sections of any 14er is the knife edge on Capitol. I've also heard people say that if you cut the top 3 feet off the knife edge and laid it along flat ground, most people would practically jog across it. It's the exposure that makes it difficult. Again, that's not from personal experience... just from what I've heard.

On Longs, the class 3 sections don't really have any significant exposure so it's not technically very difficult. The hard part of Longs for me was the length of the climb (which, at 15 miles RT, is much shorter than Barr trail which you've already done) and the exposure. It was my first time dealing with exposure and once I got over the initial shock of the Narrows, it was a piece of cake.

If you are bored and want to re-live my first class 3 experience, you can read my trip report. Keep in mind that pictures almost always look scarier than the real thing.

Postby Craig Cook » Fri May 13, 2011 5:53 pm

AWAKE - Oops, thanks for pointing that out. I read the entire TR, but I guess it didn't even register with me that this was a MUCH more difficult route they were taking.

CARL - Sorry, wasn't trying to make you change your trip report. Just my own ignorance showing up. #-o

ONTOPOFTHEWORLD - I'm off to check out your TR right now. Not because I'm bored, but I've been trying to read a bunch of the TR's for different climbs to help educate myself with all the different summits. Although judging by how I completely missed the part of Carl's TR being Class 5, not Class 3, maybe I should re-read them. :lol:
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Previous