Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Grays or Torreys on Memorial Day Weekend

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Grays or Torreys on Memorial Day Weekend

Postby Jp81 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:29 pm

I am planning a trip up Grays and possibly Torreys on Memorial Day weekend. Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of conditions I will encounter and what extra gear (if any) I will need? I've only trekked up one 14er (Blanca) before now, but that was an early September trip. Is this too ambitious for a beginner? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Re: Grays or Torreys on Memorial Day Weekend

Postby tmathews » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:18 pm

Grays and Torreys are definitely not too ambitious for a beginner. You will likely still encounter a lot of snow, but the peaks are so heavily-trafficked that there will probably be a great boot pack. Make sure you take some kind of foot traction (Micro-spikes, Yaktrax, etc.). Memorial Day is probably going to be really busy, so be prepared to hike with a lot of people.

Postby mattpayne11 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:40 pm

I'm sure that there won't be very many people on Grays and Torreys on Memorial Day, so make sure you bring a partner...

:lol:

I think you'll be just fine! Good luck! :-)

Postby Jp81 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:02 am

Thanks for the replies. I do have a partner going, I wouldn't dare do otherwise. I've never hiked through snow before, will I be okay with just some strap on spikes? Will the trail still be visible? Sorry to ask such basic questions, but I want to make sure I am prepared.

Postby BobbyFinn » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:51 am

Snow conditions will vary. Here's a pic from June 13, 2009. The lower trail was pretty well melted, but, as you can see, the upper slopes still had some snow.
Microspikes http://www.rei.com/product/774966 should be sufficient and are less for the soft snow than they are for the hardpacked snow/ice caused by the warm conditions and all the hikers on the trail. Unless there's a dump of snow the night before, the trail will be visible - though it may not be the summer trail since in winter hikers tend to shortcut switchbacks.
Have fun!
Attachments
DSCN1038 - small.JPG
DSCN1038 - small.JPG (318.46 KiB) Viewed 717 times
"Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." - Yoda
"Rudeness is a weak person's imitation of strength." - Paul Arel

Postby Jp81 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:32 am

Do you suggest a different TH than Stevens Gulch and hiking up the standard east slope?

Postby BobbyFinn » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:30 am

Jp81 wrote:Do you suggest a different TH than Stevens Gulch and hiking up the standard east slope?

Routes 3 and 8 here http://www.14ers.com./routelist.php?peak=Grays+Peak+and+Torreys+Peak might work for you, but I don't know how early that TH opens up.
"Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." - Yoda
"Rudeness is a weak person's imitation of strength." - Paul Arel