Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

First 14er during spring

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: First 14er during spring

Postby feardaram » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:51 pm

summers wrote:A friend and I climbed Pikes from Crags on Sunday April 10th, and saw one other person on the trail (a hiker who was turning back at Devils Playground). The summit gift shop is open, so we chatted with the employees while enjoying some hot chocolate. The cog railway is running, so if you timed the summit wrong there could certainly be a crowd. The road -- at least as of two weeks ago -- was closed, but I suspect that won't be true much longer. We had the mountain to ourselves. Not much of a spring experience though; we barely even used our microspikes. It was really sad how little snow there is on that mountain.

what might we expect pikes conditions to look like in mid may? completely snow free? muddy? i have a friend coming in from out of town around then and it would be a fun hike if the conditions were right.

Postby sgriffy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:26 pm

Would it be a bad idea to do Grays/Torreys solo? I'm told that at this time of year the mountain does have a decent amount of people on it. I was thinking of doing it tomorrow.

Postby tmathews » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:31 pm

sgriffy wrote:Would it be a bad idea to do Grays/Torreys solo? I'm told that at this time of year the mountain does have a decent amount of people on it. I was thinking of doing it tomorrow.

If it were me, I would avoid it tomorrow. Lots of snow still falling in the area and the slide potential is pretty high. There probably won't be a lot of people out there -- especially with the forecast looking the way it is.

Postby sgriffy » Thu May 05, 2011 11:15 pm

I am looking to get into more technical mountaineering (i.e. couloirs). I plan on getting crampons and an ice ax shortly.

Is it necessary to take a snow skills course or is ice ax and crampon use something that can be self taught on easier slopes? Any recommendations?

Also, is anyone here willing to have me as a hiking partner for easier mountain trips?

thanks

Postby g-force » Fri May 06, 2011 5:58 am

If you know you limits and know when to go home, you will probably have a nice day out. Avoid exposure from above or below. Probably still a lot of snow still. Let us know. G

Previous