Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Longs Peak - Lodging

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Longs Peak - Lodging

Postby jomagam » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:36 am

crossfitter wrote:IMO the best way to do longs is just start at midnight instead of 2-3. There are numerous disadvantages: 1) Parking is easy 2) You get to feel like the only ones on the mountain (on the way up) instead of following the conga line 3) You get to catch sunrise from the summit if you move fast enough, which is awesome. The only downsides are that it can be cold, but it's cold when you start no matter what, and that you get less sleep, which hardly matters since you get so little with the normal start anyway. Extra bonus: starting at midnight means you can leave boulder at 11:00pm and not deal with lodging.

I'd also list doing a class 3 in the dark as a downside. Doing a hike this strenuous without getting any sleep before is asking for it unless you really know what you're getting into.

Postby unclegar » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Aspen Lodge is probably the closest. I've never stayed there but I think it is a pretty nice place to stay.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby TomPierce » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:55 pm

FWIW, I am very familiar with the Holiday Inn in Estes, it's right on Hwy 7 (the same as the trailhead). It's probably pricier than many other options but it has a restaurant, pool, etc. and at least in the winter it's 13 minutes from the parking lot to the trailhead turn off of Hwy 7.
-Tom

Postby crossfitter » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:43 pm

I'd also list doing a class 3 in the dark as a downside. Doing a hike this strenuous without getting any sleep before is asking for it unless you really know what you're getting into.[/quote]

You could have a point. Both times I did it that way I specifically picked weekends with a waning near-full moon to maximize light and delay moon-set as long as possible. Daybreak also starts about 45 minutes before sunrise, giving plenty of time to navigate the narrows and homestretch. The trough is straightforward enough for darkness to not really matter, so only the ledges might be an issue. Finding the bullseyes was a little challenging in the dark, I'll admit. You can always stop and wait for sunrise if you get wigged out, too. I personally found this to be a very enjoyable way to get around the insane crowds on longs.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby RenoBob » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Meeker Park Lodge is really old school Colorado lodging, it would be a fun place. Same with the Wild Basin Lodge. Look in Allenspark, there are several lodges and cabins for rent. you'd be about 15 minutes form the TH and out of the zoo in Estrs.
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Postby bking14ers » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:04 pm

Peak to Peak Lodge is cool. I've stayed there are couple different times for several nights. It's only about 7 miles or so from the TH. on Rt. 7 on the edge of Estes. There pretty cheap too.

Previous