Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Gear Long's Peak - Notch Couloir

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Gear Long's Peak - Notch Couloir

Postby jsaunders » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:54 am

Planning the first trip to Long's with a goal of the Notch Couloir via Lambslide - Broadway. Being a first trip, I'm going through all the details on what to pack, shaving weight where I can, trying to keep it less than 15lbs minus the climbing gear. That said - tool options...

I have 2 BD Viper technical tools, 1 57cm BD Venom and trekking poles. I know that I plan to have one of the poles, but should I bring one tecnical tool and a technical piolet or should I bring 2 technical tools? Reading the Colorado Snow Climbs book, it lists 2 tools. Others have mentioned that I should bring the Venom for better plunging.. What's the consensus?

Re: Gear Long's Peak - Notch Couloir

Postby Carl » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:45 am

1 Viper and your Venom sounds like the perfect combo in my opinion. I suspect you won't use the Viper much.

Postby bckcntryskr » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:21 pm

Did I mention that "I hate postholing"

Postby jsaunders » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks very much for the info. Hoping for good conditions in the first 2 weeks of June!

Postby krs1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:04 pm

Don't forget to bring a few snow pickets for physchological pro while crossing Broadway :wink: .

Postby bif » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:05 pm

hello
Is this your first trip to Colorado, first attempt on a 14er or, do you mean first attempt on Longs, but with experience above say 13,000 feet?

bif

Postby bif » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:07 pm

Sorry , i just saw your climbing history . Never mind..

Postby Carl » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:35 pm

krs1 wrote:Don't forget to bring a few snow pickets for physchological pro while crossing Broadway :wink: .

A fair bit of this is personal preference but I'd probably just bring one picket and plan on not using it. Plenty of quick rock pro to be had on broadway and in the couloir. This is especially true if you take the high route on broadway, which in my opinion is faster.

jsaunders wrote:Thanks very much for the info. Hoping for good conditions in the first 2 weeks of June!

As for my comment above, broadway could be mostly melted out and easily negotiated by the 2nd weekend of June or it could look like this and be rather time consuming:

I'm sure someone will have a good beta photo of broadway (or actual route info) if you post again shortly before the climb.

Postby jsaunders » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:08 am

bif wrote:hello
Is this your first trip to Colorado, first attempt on a 14er or, do you mean first attempt on Longs, but with experience above say 13,000 feet?

bif

It will be a first on Long's for me. It's an optimistic objective of the trip, but not the first objective on the agenda. We'll see how a few smaller objectives go prior to making the journey to Long's.