Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Moving to Colorado after college

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Moving to Colorado after college

Postby mtngoat » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:57 am

jaypeak88 wrote:HI all,

Not sure where to put this, so if a mod or admin wants to move it that's ok.

I'm a senior in college in Pennsylvania, studying geology and environmental science. Have lived in Connecticut all my life, and would love to move to Colorado after graduation this May. I've looked a lot for entry level geology/environmental science jobs in Denver and other areas, but the economy is making things tough. If I don't get a job before graduation I'm considering moving out to Denver and looking for jobs till I find one or get into grad school.

My question is, has anyone ever been in this same situation (i.e. wanted to move to Colorado, but not known how to pull it off)? Any suggestions for an aspiring young CO resident, trying to move out west without a concrete plan? I'm just looking to see if anyone has been in this situation before, and if so how you've handled it. I only get out west once or twice a year now, and would love to climb more!

Thanks!

You could always work for Vail Resorts...you might check out their college program. They go from about 2500 employees in August to about 12,000 by late-November. It would get you out here at least. It is how many have done it.
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.

Postby Screed » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:50 am

jaypeak88 wrote:My question is, has anyone ever been in this same situation (i.e. wanted to move to Colorado, but not known how to pull it off)? Any suggestions for an aspiring young CO resident, trying to move out west without a concrete plan? I'm just looking to see if anyone has been in this situation before, and if so how you've handled it. I only get out west once or twice a year now, and would love to climb more!

Thanks!

My wife and I made plans to move out in 2008 with no jobs and no prior place to live. In fact we hadn't even been to Colorado before! It was down to SLC, Denver, or Seattle (none of which we'd been to they just were close to skiing).

We both REALLY wanted to make it happen so we both took a week off work and drove out here in April '08. Day one we went skiing at Loveland. Day two we searched for apartments. Day three we interviewed for jobs. Not jobs you want to get. You need to interview for jobs that will get you out here. If you REALLY want to be here, you'll make it happen whether you utilize your degree or not. Day four my wife gets hired and we choose an apartment. Day five drive back to Jacksonville. Day six through week four we pack up and move out. Sell everything that won't fit in your car and use the cash for gas money and deposit/first months rent on the apartment. Screw the stuff you have now. Craigslist free section and Freecycle is your friend. Get a dog. Medium or big. Under 40 pounds is unacceptable. You'll only get laughed at. Buy new skis and get a Colorado Pass. Look for a job utilizing your degree while having fun. Thank me later.

Seriously. I can't reiterate enough that if you really want it you'll make it happen. You just have to lower your standards for a few months while you get on your feet. If you refuse to wait tables or work in customer service you're screwed and you won't find a job and can kiss moving out here goodbye. At least for a while.

You're young and (hopefully) single. If you can't make it out here that easilly it's a hopeless cause. You gotta be willing to sacrifice.

EDIT: I actually tried helping out a buddy of mine who wanted to move out from Charlotte. Similar story to ours. Just wanted to head out. This freakin' guy (who I reluctantly still call a friend) absolutely REFUSED to take a job other than what his degree called for him to do. Well, I guess he was content with taking advantage of my wife and I because after almost two years of hooking him up with a room rent free he tucked his...ahem...between his legs and went back to NC to take the easy way out.

Don't be that guy. If you have to live in a 300sf studio and wait tables for a couple months then just do it. Do it while you still can. If you need a room for a few weeks while you find a place I can help you out. Free room while you look for your own place, $300 plus utilities after the fourth week up to three months then I kick you out. Let me know if you'd be interested.
The best things in life aren't things.

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:02 pm

I had the most ideal situation when IO moved to Colorado in 1998.. I was already in a stable job in NYC and my company was looking to fill some positions in Denver with experienced NY folks.. When they asked, I accepted but did so reluctantly. After living here a couple of months, I knew that I had made a great decision. I have been out here for 13 years this December... Take a gamble.. Put away some money, and move out here.. There are job opportunities... Liek other have said, it may be challenging financially until you find a job that you are looking for, but you can always wait tables, get a job at REI or someting that would be fufilling and fun for now.. Good luck...

As Warren Miller always said: Every year you say you're gonna move to the mountains and every year you're just a year older" :P
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby ajkagy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Rockymtnhigh69 wrote:As Warren Miller always said: Every year you say you're gonna move to the mountains and every year you're just a year older" :P

so true...sometimes you gotta take chances in order to fulfill some lifelong dreams
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby SummitKathy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:05 pm

I moved out here from Kingston, ON Canada after graduating with my Engineering degree. I planned on coming out here for maybe a year for something exciting to do. It's been 4 years now. This place is amazing. Move here, and you'll always be thankful you did.
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir

Previous