Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Crampons

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Crampons

Postby Rainier_Wolfcastle » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:59 am

One issue you may have with the current BD strap-on crampon model is sizing...my size 11.5 boots actually need a special extension for BD Contact Strap Crampons. Or, as per their specs: •Boots size 12 and larger require the Long Center Bars, sold separately. Its not like I'm Shaq, yet I needed to buy like a $40 extendor.
Shawn D
Broomfield, CO

Postby devo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:29 am

Good point on the sizing. I wear a size 12 and I haven't had to buy an extension but I have to adjust the crampons for each pair of boots that I've worn them on. Make sure you adjust them to your boot in the comfort of your home.

Postby strongmelon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:43 am

CO Native wrote:
strongmelon wrote:I would argue that unless you have experience with a piece of technical climbing equipment that it is unsafe to start using it on such routes.

Exactly which is why he should buy them and use them on some of the easier mountains first.

Agreed.

The original poster was asking about the necessity of crampons for climbing fourteeners, which I did not interpret as practice but as required equipment to climb a peak.

Postby CO Native » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:17 pm

bigmac wrote:Any advice on neumatic (step in) vs strap in? I like neumatic, but am curious about other thoughts...

New-matic crampons are Grivel's hybrid (or semi-automatic) crampons. These are like clip on (step in, automatic, whatever you want to call them) crampons on the heel but are like strap-on crampons on the toe. The idea was to make a crampon that's easy to put on, but didn't require as stiff of a boot as the clip ons do and doesn't need a toe groove. You need a boot that has a good heel groove fore these to work well.

The way I see it is everyone should start with a pair of strap on crampons. They allow you to use whatever boots you already own and work on a lot of terrain. Then if you want to pursue steeper more difficult terrain or even ice climbing you need to look into clip on crampons and a good rigid pair of clip on compatible boots. Then if you feel the need to have something in between that you might consider hybrids. That's just my take on it though.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Previous