Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Crampons

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Crampons

Postby jd119342 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:24 pm

Most everyone I have been reading say crampons are good to have in late May or Early June. Will strap on crampons like the Black Diamond Strap on work on basic hiking boots or must you have mountaineering boots. Thanks for all the support everyone comes through with. It is great for a beginner like me.

Re: Crampons

Postby Bean » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:32 pm

The BD Contact Strap will work on ordinary hiking boots, but non-mountaineering boots aren't very stiff and aren't ideal.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Monster5 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:38 pm

They'll work fine. The only problem may be sizing and width. Normal hiking boots tend to be wider than mountaineering boots and may not fit as easily into the contact strap-ons. The boots may not be as comfortable if you're climbing something steep (not as stiff or rigid generally). Either way, you can use strap ons with just about any shoe
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich

Postby Weegie5 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:43 pm

Like you, I wear basic hiking boots when expecting substantial snow. Rather than the BD Contact Straps, which I tried (rented from REI), I ended up buying the steel Kahtoola KTS crampons as they are way more flexible. I didn't find the width to be an issue with them, but I don't have wide-soled boots either.

Good luck!
~James

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:44 pm

I have the Grivel G-12s (similar) and they fit nicely on both my La Sportiva Glacier mountaineering boots and Merrell Moab hikers. That said, they're infinitely more comfortable when used with the Glaciers.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby strongmelon » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:15 pm

jd119342 wrote: Thanks for all the support everyone comes through with. It is great for a beginner like me.

Great, glad to have you here.

You won't need crampons in Colorado unless you're planning on a very steep snowclimb. On those climbs you'll also most likely want an ice axe or ice tools.

Did you have a particular climb in mind?

Postby gearhunter » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:01 pm

I actually bring both Snowshoes and Crampons with me. If I have a choice I'll wear the crampons. Never been much of a fan for walking long distances in snowshoes. Unless flotation is needed I just find them annoying.

Postby kaiman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:10 pm

I have a pair of Black Diamond strap crampons that I wear at least in May and sometimes into early June. They work well with both stiff mountaineering boots and soft waterproof trail hikers. I've actually mainly worn them with soft waterproof hiking boots (because they are more comfortable) and haven't found those boots to be too soft or problematic in any way. Maybe the only downside being that they take a bit longer to put on then standard crampons, but work on all types of boots.

Unlike strongmelon, I would argue that crampons are definitely a necessity for a number of peaks at certain times during the year. While it's true that we don't have to contend with rime ice or glacier travel in Colorado like in the Cascades or other parts of the world, there have been a number of times that crampons saved me from having to turn back on my way up steep snow filled headwalls or across large snowfields below ridges. As far as snowshoes are concerned, I'm with gearhunter, I only use them when the snow hasn't consolidated yet (during the winter, early spring to avoid post holing) otherwise I take crampons.

Just my 2 pennies,

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Postby strongmelon » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:40 pm

kaiman wrote:Unlike strongmelon, I would argue that crampons are definitely a necessity for a number of peaks at certain times during the year. While it's true that we don't have to contend with rime ice or glacier travel in Colorado like in the Cascades or other parts of the world, there have been a number of times that crampons saved me from having to turn back on my way up steep snow filled headwalls or across large snowfields below ridges. As far as snowshoes are concerned, I'm with gearhunter, I only use them when the snow hasn't consolidated yet (during the winter, early spring to avoid post holing) otherwise I take crampons.

On a serious note kaiman, can you say where you used crampons? I've never needed them on a standard 14er route in June.

Postby MtHurd » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:35 am

I've used crampons on several peaks in May and June. Did I absolutely have to have them? No, but they were nice to have as the ascent was much easier. Just a couple of 14ers that they would come in handy on that I can think of would be Castle, Snowmass, the Wilson Group, the Crestones, and Little Bear if there is still ice in the Hourglass. I didn't have them with me on the Northwest Couloir of Crestone in September once and I had to turn around due to verglass covering the rocks. I wish I would have had them.

I have Grivel G-10's. I actually strap them on my trail runners and they work fine.

Postby ThuChad » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:03 am

Would Microspikes be sufficient for May and June? I've worn a pair for a the last week straight and I love them. They're a lot less headaches than crampons and would probably work in most situations but I'm no expert.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

Postby rking007 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:48 am

Being newer to higher peak climbing I'm really curious to this conversation. I've only experienced a small snow field on the decent saddle between Grays and Torrey's and that was in late July. There was obviously already a highway sized trailed kicked and packed into the side so we could have probably walked over it in bowling shoes, but... is there a good place to learn about when to use crampons, and what types or micro spikes? I've looking at micro spikes as an affordable option to have on me and may purchase some in the next week or so but where do you learn about the basic limitations of application and when you should jump up to crampons? Hopefully this stays on topic, if not, feel free to PM me. Thanks!
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Next