Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Quandary Peak?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Quandary Peak?

Postby timstich » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:22 am

JB99 wrote:Longmonster is not the Baron, not even close. The Baron left, he didn't get banned.

He doesn't live in the state presently, either. I'm not sure where he is right now, probably Bavaria.

Postby bif » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:59 am

Michael York wrote:
strongmelon wrote:Hows about trying something a wee bit easier.

Such as?

Yes I agree with the question, "Such as?" I was under the impression that Quandary was the number 1 best choice for a beginning winter hike. Pikes from Crags, Bierstadt, Sherman, Evans, Torries. Considering; Avalanche exposure, ease of access, ease of route finding, and time en-route round trip , how would you rank these?

bif

Postby kushrocks » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:14 pm

How about Sherman as the first winter hike?
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby Markwise » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:08 pm

We're tackling Sherman tomorrow as our 2nd winter hike (Quandary last year). All our research says Sherman is a relatively "easy" winter ascent, depending on conditions.

Postby Presto » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:15 pm

by Markwise » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:08 pm
We're tackling Sherman tomorrow as our 2nd winter hike (Quandary last year). All our research says Sherman is a relatively "easy" winter ascent, depending on conditions.

Needless to say, I'm sure you already know the forecast (chance of snow, -10 degree windchill in Leadville, -6 degree windchill in Fairplay, very windy) ... bundle up, my friend. :wink:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby bif » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:22 pm

Markwise wrote:We're tackling Sherman tomorrow as our 2nd winter hike (Quandary last year). All our research says Sherman is a relatively "easy" winter ascent, depending on conditions.

Great when you complete it I would be interested in you opinion as to which is the easier, Quandary or Sherman.
bif

Postby strongmelon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:00 pm

bif wrote:Great when you complete it I would be interested in you opinion as to which is the easier, Quandary or Sherman.
bif

Unless the subject is Madonna, the term "easy" is relative.

Sherman is generally easier than Quandary. Bierstadt is also relatively easier, depending on the road closures, etc.

P.S. The term "relative" is relative too. It depends on what "is" is in Appalachia.

"Aintry? You ain't nowheres near Aintry!"

Postby strongmelon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:07 pm

Michael York wrote:
strongmelon wrote:Hows about trying something a wee bit easier.

Such as?

Flattop
Squaretop
Greywolf
Spalding
Twin Sisters (the pair near Meeker)
Meadow Mountain
St. Vrain peak
Hagerman
Grizzly (on the divide)
Etc.

Need I go on?

"There Is No Sanctuary!"

Postby Zenn » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:45 pm

How would one compare it to a wintry ascent of Bross? Moose Creek?

Postby dennywitte » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:48 am

We did Mt Sherman on Friday. With the road accessible to just above Leavick, the winter route is now 4 miles each way and 2800 ft of vertical. This would make it arguably a little easier than Quandary. The weather conditions, however, with sub-zero wind chills and 50mph winds made it tougher than our Quandary ascent last year.

Postby bif » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:04 am

thanks Denny, I ve been watching for a report on Sherman
the wind sounds brutal.

bif

Postby highpilgrim » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:13 pm

strongmelon wrote:
"Aintry? You ain't nowheres near Aintry!"

"this river only runs one way, captain, haven't you heard?"

Appalachia, and pigs, may never recover.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Previous