Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Quandary Peak?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Quandary Peak?

Postby Michael York » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm planning on a winter 14er ascent sometime in the next two weeks... the exact day will depend on time off work and the weather that day, BUT, I plan on going with a partner who may not have much winter hiking experience, and I want to make sure Quandary is the right choice, but I haven't personally hiked it in the winter. Suggestions?

Also, if we do Quandary, I would definitely like to ski at least part of the descent... Are there good skiing routes that I could give my partner a head start and still meet up with him, or does a ski descent require a different route?

I did a little background research to try to avoid a redundant post, but I'm looking for some feedback.

Thanks!!

Re: Quandary Peak?

Postby strongmelon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:31 pm

Michael York wrote:I'm planning on a winter 14er ascent sometime in the next two weeks... the exact day will depend on time off work and the weather that day, BUT, I plan on going with a partner who may not have much winter hiking experience, and I want to make sure Quandary is the right choice, but I haven't personally hiked it in the winter. Suggestions?

Also, if we do Quandary, I would definitely like to ski at least part of the descent... Are there good skiing routes that I could give my partner a head start and still meet up with him, or does a ski descent require a different route?

I did a little background research to try to avoid a redundant post, but I'm looking for some feedback.

Thanks!!

Are you out of your friggin mind? Quandary is probably the most dangerous peak in Colorado! Let me get this straight: You want to climb Quandary with an inexperienced partner and then ski down and leave him/her to fend for themselves. WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

Hows about trying something a wee bit easier.

"There Is No Sanctuary!"

Postby crossfitter » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:21 pm

strongmelon wrote:
Michael York wrote:I'm planning on a winter 14er ascent sometime in the next two weeks... the exact day will depend on time off work and the weather that day, BUT, I plan on going with a partner who may not have much winter hiking experience, and I want to make sure Quandary is the right choice, but I haven't personally hiked it in the winter. Suggestions?

Thanks!!

Are you out of your friggin mind? Quandary is probably the most dangerous peak in Colorado! Let me get this straight: You want to climb Quandary with an inexperienced partner and then ski down and leave him/her to fend for themselves. WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

Hows about trying something a wee bit easier.

"There Is No Sanctuary!"

He's a little new for that, don't you think?
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby strongmelon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:27 pm

crossfitter wrote:

A little new for what, exactly?

Postby crossfitter » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:51 pm

strongmelon wrote:
crossfitter wrote:

I'm a fervent supporter of your vitriol as an antidote for lack of thought, but too much of a good thing dilutes the effect. Spare this one, for he knows not the banality of his query. Be free and spread your wisdom to those of greatest requirement, dear sir.
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers

Postby strongmelon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:56 pm

crossfitter wrote:
strongmelon wrote:
crossfitter wrote:

I'm a fervent supporter of your vitriol as an antidote for lack of thought, but too much of a good thing dilutes the effect. Spare this one, for he knows not the banality of his query. Be free and spread your wisdom to those of greatest requirement, dear sir.

Sir! (as we are being formal)

When mountaineering, take it seriously! Especially as a NOVICE in Winter on the most deadly peak in Colorado!

Now, what were you saying?

Postby Monster5 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 am

Michael York wrote:I want to make sure Quandary is the right choice, but I haven't personally hiked it in the winter. Suggestions?

Also, if we do Quandary, I would definitely like to ski at least part of the descent...

Quandary (E. Ridge) is the best choice you can make for a winter ascent without much party experience.

In relative terms: the route is short, getting truly lost is near on impossible if you have any sort of map skills (although somebody managed it not too long ago), trailhead access is good, avy danger is low, little technical gear is needed, and chances of a bootpack/other hikers are high. Studying the route and making sure you're properly equipped with what you'd feel comfortable with is all on you. You can easily find temperatures and detailed trip reports with minimal effort using the features on this site.

As for skiing, you can ski down the standard route (east ridge). Avoid going too far into the bowl to the north around 13kish (avy danger) and the couloirs off to the south at that time of year. Coverage is variable (windy), but you should be able to get a continuous line within 50 ft climber's right of the ascent path.

I can't decide on Strongmelon.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich

Postby crossfitter » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:29 am

strongmelon wrote:
Sir! (as we are being formal)

When mountaineering, take it seriously! Especially as a NOVICE in Winter on the most deadly peak in Colorado!

Now, what were you saying?

I want to believe so badly that the Baron has actually returned...

I wholeheartedly agree that one should take all winter mountaineering seriously, but such hyperbole regarding the risk of this particular mountain serves only to spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt in an otherwise overly paranoid world. If I may digress for a moment, I cite documented albeit somewhat dated statistics in reference: http://www.listsofjohn.com/Accidents/14erloc.html (SFW)

Considering only fatal, non-medical causes of death:

Longs: 47
Maroon: 13
Pikes: 10
North Maroon: 8
Little Bear: 8
Crestone Needle: 7
Evans: 7
Quandary: 7
Capitol Peak: 6
El Diente: 6

With Quandary's proximity to civilization, popularity amongst backcountry enthusiasts, well-established trail, and relative level of difficulty, I challenge you to suggest a more suitable high Alpine summit for a first winter ascent.

Postby JB99 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:46 am

Longmonster is not the Baron, not even close. The Baron left, he didn't get banned.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby crossfitter » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:52 am

JB99 wrote:Longmonster is not the Baron, not even close. The Baron left, he didn't get banned.

Oh well. He's still somewhat entertaining if you don't take him too seriously. Hopefully our savior returns someday...

Postby Michael York » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:11 am

Well thanks for the input, we'll see how it goes and definitely turn around if it gets crazy... No, I'm not out of my friggin' mind, though :mrgreen:

Postby Michael York » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:13 am

strongmelon wrote:Hows about trying something a wee bit easier.

Such as?

Next