Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

South Maroon Peak?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: South Maroon Peak?

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:23 pm

cbauer10 wrote:If you are trying to get some exposure to the Elks, then Castle is where you start. Although, I would suggest you go with Elbert.

Castle was fun (except for walking the road), but Sopris via Thomas Lakes was better IMO, as long as you're not too much of an elevation snob. :D

2. You won't want to do the Sawatch once you start doing the Elks and San Juans.

Not true for me, but I'm kind of funny that way...All mountains are fun!
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby WSC_Geologist12 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:47 pm

Nice, yeah we hit the South Ridge on Maroon up and down and the way up was really nice but down was a nightmare.
The most common comment I've heard is that South Maroon has the most difficult routefinding out of the three bells (I consider Pyramid a Bell).

What do you think the exposure is like on South vs the other two?

Postby Scott P » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:48 am

Alright thanks guys. I think i'm going to stick with a class 1 or class 2 challenging peak for our trip. Do you have any suggestions on which mountains to hike Near the Elk Mountain Range? I was thinking Castle Peak or Mt. Elbert? Thanks again!

How about Mount of the Holy Cross? It's a pretty easy (but fairly long) one and is much more scenic than Mount Elbert. You should know how to read a map though as people get lost fairly frequently (though why is a mystery).

Here are some photos of our climb:

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/418425/mount-of-the-holy-cross-july-3-4-2008.html

As you can see, HC is a pretty one.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby kiliclimber7_17_02 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:11 am

I did the NE couloir route on Maroon and down the standard route climbing around and over very steep snow fields with an Aspen Expeditions guide. It was my hardest of the 58 on the list by far. Please find something else to climb for your first. This is a loose, dangerous route.

Postby aconcagua08 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:10 am

zb - I guess it would have to depend on your experience level, but not knowing it I would never suggest or consider this climb as a first 14er for anyone. Think of it as a race - for someone who doesn't run daily saying they are going to run a marathon the next day...I am sure it can be done, but probably isn't the best idea for someone who isn't that active. Good beginner 14ers would be more along the lines of the Decabrilon, Sherman, Bierstadt, Evans, Quandary, etc. Hope this helps and enjoy your climb(s) out here!
"The weak wait for opportunities-The strong make them." - Bazooka Joe

Postby rokklimber » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:20 pm

i just hiked in on friday morning, the trail is almost snow free except for two piles of snow one of which is easily avoided, but route finding is a real challenge. as well as the ascent trail up the standard route is a real beast.

Postby cbauer10 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:36 am

WSC_Geologist12 wrote:Nice, yeah we hit the South Ridge on Maroon up and down and the way up was really nice but down was a nightmare.
The most common comment I've heard is that South Maroon has the most difficult routefinding out of the three bells (I consider Pyramid a Bell).

What do you think the exposure is like on South vs the other two?

I would say that Pyramid has the most exposure, but it does not have the route finding issues that Maroon has. You know where you are going pretty much at all times on that one. And if you are careful, the exposure is not anything that will make you turn back.

N. Maroon has a little bit of route finding issues, and a little bit of exposure. It is a good mix of Pyramid and Maroon. I still would say that Maroon is the hardest of the three though.

Postby randalmartin » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:48 am

rokklimber wrote:i just hiked in on friday morning, the trail is almost snow free except for two piles of snow one of which is easily avoided, but route finding is a real challenge. as well as the ascent trail up the standard route is a real beast.

In light of the original point of this thread your profile indicates this was your first 14er. Out of curiosity did you have more experience than that or was this truly a first time experience for you?

Postby WSC_Geologist12 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:25 am

I know it is a little late (I keep forgetting my password), but I have now climbed Pyramid, Capitol, Vestal Pk., and the Little Bear Blanca Traverse. Perhaps I have it in me to hit North Maroon. After experiencing some other mountains I now agree that my problem with Maroon was route finding. I can now say that we experienced some low class 5 chimney moves after a little boost in my technical skill.

Previous