Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Multiple 14ers in One Day

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Multiple 14ers in One Day

Postby rob runkle » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:03 pm

Sherman Quandry is a very real option for a single day. Drive from TH to TH obviously.

Postby TravelingMatt » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:41 pm

If you do Sherman from the backside (and drive between trailheads) you can combine it with pretty much anything in the Sawatch other than Holy X.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby longshanks » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:35 pm

Elbert and Massive. The trailheads are about half a mile apart. It's about 23 miles and 9800 feet vertical. I hope to attempt it either this summer or next.

Postby Eph 2 5 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:57 pm

A couple years ago I hiked Lincoln, Democrat, Bross and then drove to Sherman via Four Mile Creek. One thing I didn't like about doing that was that I started Sherman at approx. 1pm and couldn't tell what the weather was like to the west because I was on the east side of Sherman. I asked people as they came down what the weather was like to the west and they said it looked pretty good. It worked out fine, but I ran a little bit on the way down to avoid what I thought was going to be a thunderstorm, though it never really materialized.

Postby jschner » Fri May 18, 2012 6:43 am

There's a tricky way to easily bag four in one day that my son and I did many years ago. Climb Uncompahgre, Redcloud, Sunshine, and then Redcloud again.

Of course, two are the same but that's still four 14ers in a day. (Nobody said this thread was about multiple "different" 14ers in one day.) :lol:

The trick, for those who don't know, is that there is a short saddle between Redcloud and Sunshine. So it's easy to climb Redcloud, hike the saddle over to Sunshine, then back over Redcloud, and exit. The only hard part - the skree on the way up Redcloud - wasn't actually difficult, just grueling and well, unsatisfying.

I don't recall how long it took us to drive from the Uncompahgre TH to the Redcloud TH but it was no big deal.

Postby djkest » Fri May 18, 2012 7:13 am

jschner wrote:There's a tricky way to easily bag four in one day that my son and I did many years ago. Climb Uncompahgre, Redcloud, Sunshine, and then Redcloud again.

Of course, two are the same but that's still four 14ers in a day. (Nobody said this thread was about multiple "different" 14ers in one day.) :lol:

The trick, for those who don't know, is that there is a short saddle between Redcloud and Sunshine. So it's easy to climb Redcloud, hike the saddle over to Sunshine, then back over Redcloud, and exit. The only hard part - the skree on the way up Redcloud - wasn't actually difficult, just grueling and well, unsatisfying.

I don't recall how long it took us to drive from the Uncompahgre TH to the Redcloud TH but it was no big deal.

Well, most people dont' count that as 3 but I hear you. We did RC/Sunshine and were back down by noon last year. If you wanted to string another in the same day I'd say Handies would be an even better option.

I'm not sure my body could handle 2 back - to - back 14ers in a single day with only a little rest in between. I've never tried it. I tend to favor multi-day trips with 12+ hours of rest in between.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby RJansen77 » Fri May 18, 2012 7:17 am

We did Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln and Bross, then drove over Hoosier Pass and did Quandary last summer. Total climbing time was ~7 hours. I think it's close to 7,000' for the day, but if you have good weather and start early it can be done.
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby peter303 » Fri May 18, 2012 7:21 am

Cave Dog (who reads 14ers.com) did eight in one day when doing all 54 in under 11 days.
http://www.thedogteam.com/14ers-Web_Pages/Colorado_Fourteeners/14ers-index-frame.html

Postby saxlover » Fri May 18, 2012 11:19 am

i once did mt elbert and mt huron in the same day. it was late septemberish. our plan was to do elbert in the morning then drive over to huron and camp at the trailhead to hike the next day. we got over to huron, perfect weather day and my friend talked me into starting up huron. i was very hesitant to start that late in day, ended up being perfect weather day. nabbed the tallest and one the shortest 14ers in one day.
Andrew Tobin

Postby saxlover » Fri May 18, 2012 11:24 am

long expletive day. i was tired. he wanted to do another the next day. i had to say no.

10/5/01 Mt Elbert 14,433 ft and Huron Peak 14,003 ft
Mt. Elbert
Partner: Paul Leonardi
Trailhead: South Mount Elbert Trailhead
... Route: East Ridge
Total Distance: 7.6 miles
Elevation gain: 4,000 ft
Start time: 6:30 AM
Summit: 9:15 AM
Descend Start: 9:45 AM
Finish time: 11:20 AM
Huron Peak
Partner: Paul Leonardi
Trailhead: South Winfield
Route: Northwest Slopes
Total Distance: 4 miles
Elevation gain: 3,400 ft
Start time: 1:10 PM
Summit: 3:40 AM
Day’s totals
11.6 miles and 7,400 ft elevation gain
Andrew Tobin

Postby djkest » Fri May 18, 2012 11:36 am

saxlover wrote:long expletive day. i was tired. he wanted to do another the next day. i had to say no.

10/5/01 Mt Elbert 14,433 ft and Huron Peak 14,003 ft
[snip]
11.6 miles and 7,400 ft elevation gain

Wow, that is averaging 1409 vertical feet per hour of climbing for over 5 hours! Props, that's pretty solid.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Doctor No » Fri May 18, 2012 11:44 am

saxlover wrote:11.6 miles and 7,400 ft elevation gain

Andrew, when you ask why we never climb mountains together, this is why. :lol:

Damn, I gotta get in shape after the wedding. Like real shape, not my current apple shape. My physique is good for goaltending, but not so much for sustained cardio.

Then I'll be ready for a CU Hockey reunion on a mountaintop! \:D/

PreviousNext