Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Easiest Senior 14er

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Easiest Senior 14er

Postby BLDR N8IVE » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:17 pm

Bierstadt would be fine...
I hiked it as my first in the past few yrs recently....
Im def a beginner and finished in less than 4 hrs up and down...( started at night)
the roads are fine.... the TH is a little hard to spot... the parking lot is off to the left on your way up. Hike 50 paces in and you will see a sign that says Mt. Bierstadt
I look forward to taking my parents up this mountain sometime soon...
good luck

Postby Tom Reynolds » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:53 pm

Sherman was about the shortest and easiest of the few mountains that I've climbed. I made it up the road in a Honda Civic (in 1994) and parked about 2 miles from the peak.

I'm just glad that to hear that people can still make the peaks in their 60s and beyond. I'll be turning 50 this summer and was getting a little concerned that my 14er hiking days were numbered. Since I live in Missouri I don't get many long-term opportunities for mountain hiking. Maybe I can retire early...

Postby flipper » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:57 am

Thanks to all for your replies. We had considered Bierstadt early on, but the last 1/4 mile of the ascent looked tougher than we would like for a first outing. Having never been in a boulder or talus field, we tried to avoid them. At any rate, Sherman seems to be the consensus alternative. We'll take another look at it. Again, thanks to all.

Postby CRAIGO » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:31 am

By far, Grays/Torreys i think are the easiest. My cousins are coming out in July, and I'm taking them up there. They have never hiked here before, and I'm confident they will make it. Just my 2 cents. Oh ya...have fun!!!

Previous