Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountaineering Classes?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Mountaineering Classes?

Postby inboulder » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:00 am

I was wondering if y'all had recommendations for mountaineering courses in Colorado? I'm looking for something that would cover expedition climbing skills like self arrest, glacier travel etc.

I've been looking at total climbing classes (since they're related to the BRC) http://www.totalclimbing.com/page.php?p ... taineering
but they seem a bit pricey (580 for 2 days), anyone have similar recommendations? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Mountaineering Classes?

Postby Eaglevu » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:24 am

If your willing to spend about 8 weekends over 6 months, you can do the CMC-Basic Mountaineering School for under $200 (including membership). This includes basic rock climbing, map&compass, route finding, high peak climbing, and basic glacier travel (w/ ropes). General wilderness travel training or experience is required.

http://www.cmc.org/education/education_adult.aspx
-Eaglevu
(Member of the "EVEREST IS TOO D_MN HIGH!" party.)

Postby Pete M » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:36 am

Colorado Mountain School out of Estes Park. Check the website. A+ but pricey. :)

Postby tundraline » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:59 am

I highly recommend becoming a member of CMC and taking whatever courses you can through them. There are many advantages to taking this tack instead of going through the CMS, not the least of which is cost. I have done both, and in my experience I learned more through the CMC than the CMS. There are several reasons for this, but most of then are driven by economics. In the case of the CMS -- which is an excellent outfit with highly trained and knowledgeable guides and instructors -- you must pay a commercial guide or instructor, and time of course is expensive. As a result, you will pay dearly for (albeit excellent) instruction. At the CMC, all the instructors are volunteers, and topics that the CMS might cover in 4 hours are instead typically covered by the CMC first in a classroom setting, and then in the field. I just finished a six-week course that cost $110, and that included four weekend outings and six classroom sessions. Topics covered included glacier travel, crevasse rescue, ice climbing, winter camping, winter climbing, and more. If you can afford instruction through the CMS, then the CMS might be a very good option for you, especially if the CMC instruction/course schedule does not meet your needs.

Postby OBC13 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:04 pm

CMC's Basic Mountaineering School is excellent as other posts already have stated. You would need to check with the Group (Denver, Boulder, etc.) as each may have somewhat different BMS pre-requisites. The Denver Group requires possession of a Denver Group "C" hiking classification and successful completion of either Wilderness Trekking School , Backpacking School , or their equivalent for admission to BMS.
This might take some time since the C Classification requires competion of two Class C hikes and the WTS is about 5 to 6 weeks.
OBC13

Postby cushman » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:45 pm

chefrel wrote:The guy I recomend is Eli Halmut, and you can look him up.

Eli Helmuth, I'm sure he'd appreciate you getting his name right.
Fourteener? I hardly knew her!
Mark Cushman

Postby CODave » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:48 pm

I took the CMC BMS course through the Boulder group and I thought it was great. Plus, you can't beat the price.

Postby Eaglevu » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:15 pm

OBC13 wrote:CMC's Basic Mountaineering School is excellent as other posts already have stated. You would need to check with the Group (Denver, Boulder, etc.) as each may have somewhat different BMS pre-requisites. The Denver Group requires possession of a Denver Group "C" hiking classification and successful completion of either Wilderness Trekking School , Backpacking School , or their equivalent for admission to BMS.
This might take some time since the C Classification requires competion of two Class C hikes and the WTS is about 5 to 6 weeks.

If I am still correct on this, you can test out of WTS or BPS, and get the 'C' rating in about a month.
-Eaglevu
(Member of the "EVEREST IS TOO D_MN HIGH!" party.)

Postby inboulder » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:55 pm

Thanks all for the info. I've called the Den school and it looks like they're not running a Mountaineering program until June, does anyone know if this is correct? I haven't got ahold of the Boulder school yet, hopefully they have the BMS program scheduled sooner.

Postby CODave » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:04 pm

inboulder wrote:Thanks all for the info. I've called the Den school and it looks like they're not running a Mountaineering program until June, does anyone know if this is correct? I haven't got ahold of the Boulder school yet, hopefully they have the BMS program scheduled sooner.

Here is a link for the Boulder group schedule:

http://www.cmcboulder.org/bms/springSchedule.html

Postby bombing » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:56 pm

I found this local guide service and it seems to have fair rates, http://www.mtnguides.com/, i plan to take their intro to intro to snow climbing sometime later this month.

Postby rastro » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:46 pm

cushman wrote:
chefrel wrote:The guy I recomend is Eli Halmut, and you can look him up.

Eli Helmuth, I'm sure he'd appreciate you getting his name right.

give the guy a break. Some people don't have the ivy league background you do. I think it's a pretty trivial thing. Is that all you have to contribute?..correcting somebody about the spelling of someone's name?
Different eyes see different things
Different hearts beat on different strings...
Geddy Lee 1980

Next