Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Looking for ideas - 2 14ers from single car camp site

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Looking for ideas - 2 14ers from single car camp site

Postby Stephen Butler » Thu May 02, 2013 9:05 pm

I would second the idea for Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn. I am planning to do that this summer and it looks like and awesome couple of days.

Postby Fisching » Fri May 03, 2013 7:50 am

I'm also a big fan of the Unc/Wett combo, but be aware that Wetterhorn has a Class 3 crux at the summit. If that's not something you and your buddies are looking for, then follow one of the recommendations in the Sawatch range.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby paxtonsnjones27 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:39 am

Democrat, Bross, Lincoln, and another unofficial 14er between them all. It doesn't get any easier and more rewarding. When I was in the best shape of my life I wanted to run to train on this peak bagging section to get extremely acclimatized. Not extremely remote, but no 14ers are. Missouri and the combinations there you will most likely find yourself unable to motivate to climb the combinations...the mountains are very far apart and tiring to ascend. I have only been up there in the winter, but we were in good shape and completely wimped out. I never saw a person when I climbed Blanca and there are multiple peaks around to bag. They look far more difficult than they are...trust in yourself and you will be surprised. This was one of the most rewarding summer hikes I have ever done...my avatar is a picture of me on that trip. Elbert and Massive are easy...you will do them in one day. I surprised myself when my wife and I summited Massive in time for sunrise. If you want a multiple peak area that would work for two days then I suggest the Missouri area talked about by USAkeller. Uncompahgre is hard to find or was when I was in college 15 years ago. I was not that impressed, but I was a kid I guess. Shavano is far too easy, and you will be disappointed in the lack of accomplishment. Tear it up and have a blast! Don't forget the string cheese :-D

Postby bob863 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:04 pm

in a long day, you can get Oxford, Belford, and Missouri in one day from the Missouri Gulch TH....I started @ 3 AM on a full-moon night...

Previous