Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Incline

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Postby mtgirl » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:25 am

thebeave7 wrote:Where is this incline you speak of? :wink:

Eric

Eric:

This website has some good pictures of the Incline to give you a better idea of what they're talking about. A lot of people start from the junction of the Barr Trail parking lot and post their times from that point. The true bottom is about 5 minutes farther down. Matt Carpenter's 18 minute time (which is incredible) is from the true bottom.

http://www.broeking.com/incline.htm
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby Kevin Baker » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:45 pm

The difference between the very bottom and starting at the Barr parking lot is minimal. For me, it was about 30 seconds longer from the bottom. The time difference would of course vary from person to person.

Postby summitrunner » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:40 pm

Looks fun! What is the elevation of the TH and the end? Does anyone know?
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE

Postby summitrunner » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:42 pm

Oh nevermind...I just read it on the link mtgirl's link. Still looks fun!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE

Sweet

Postby Kritios Boy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:18 pm

Having seen the pictures, I gotta try it...anybody know how far it is from Estes Park/Cheley Camps?
"I would rather be in the mountains thinking about God than in church thinking about the mountains."

Postby guitmo223 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:24 pm

mtgirl wrote:This website has some good pictures of the Incline to give you a better idea of what they're talking about.

The part about the poodle was pretty funny. I've actually seen a chihuahua climbing up.

Having seen the pictures, I gotta try it...anybody know how far it is from Estes Park/Cheley Camps?

It's by Colorado Springs, however far that is.
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill

Postby ColoradoGuy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:40 pm

I think I did the Manitou Incline in about 58 minutes (maybe longer) ... and I'm damn proud of it! :D

My one input about the incline is this: From a "purist" standpoint, the incline actually begins near the edge of the Cog Railway parking lot. If one starts at the Barr Trail parking lot and takes the trail on the right, that person is starting ahead. ;)

-Steve
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org

Postby guitmo223 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:47 pm

ColoradoGuy wrote:My one input about the incline is this: From a "purist" standpoint, the incline actually begins near the edge of the Cog Railway parking lot. If one starts at the Barr Trail parking lot and takes the trail on the right, that person is starting ahead. ;)

-Steve

I've done it both ways many times each, and it makes absolutely no difference to me. This is probably because I don't even bother trying to find a parking place at the trailhead anymore, but just park at that melodrama place by default. The elevation gain is the same either way.

Yesterday I had to park almost all the way down to Filthy Wilma's.

-Steve
Last edited by guitmo223 on Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill

Postby Kevin Baker » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:47 pm

You save about 100' vertical by starting at the Barr TH parking lot, but the vertical savings is somewhat negated because the trail leading to the incline is much steeper than the bottom of the incline itself.

Postby Jim Davies » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:10 pm

ScottieB wrote:I must say that I'm surpirsed that it takes people 20+ minutes to run 1 mile with steps, even if it is really steep.

Hey, come on out and try it. It's 2000 vertical feet and consists of a series of large steps separated by dirt, so it's not like running up a trail.

I think I took about 50 minutes the one time I did it by myself, and two hours when I did it with my (then small) kids. Not my kind of "fun", for sure...
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby thebeave7 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:49 pm

mtgirl wrote:This website has some good pictures of the Incline to give you a better idea of what they're talking about. A lot of people start from the junction of the Barr Trail parking lot and post their times from that point. The true bottom is about 5 minutes farther down. Matt Carpenter's 18 minute time (which is incredible) is from the true bottom.

Hmm, stairs aren't really my forte, but if there are hot girls, then I guess I gotta try it. :roll: Or maybe I'll just stick to my long runs that have no stairs.
Eric

Re: Incline

Postby stonebaez » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:46 pm

so i did the incline today for the first time and took the trusty gps with me. the info below is starting at the gate by the cog railway parking lot:

'The Incline'
starting altitude (at gate): 6638'
ending altitude (top step): 8563'
elevation gained: 1925'
length: 4614' (0.87 miles)
percent grade: 41.7% (approx. 23 degrees slope)
steepest sustained grade: 62.7% over 1000' length span (approx. 32 degrees slope)

took me about 45 min to hike today, which i will take for a first time and coming off winter

Edit - Realized there was a link that brought you to this link above. My stats pretty much line up, guess it depends where you start. way to go gps!
Climb.

PreviousNext