Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Incline

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Re: Incline

Postby ethangage » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:37 pm

Is there a place where people log their times for the Incline? I'd be interested in seeing what everyone else's times look like.

Postby k9powerlifter » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:28 am

I've done alot of research via internet on the incline and have only seen one list (some years ago) by the "Incline Club?" I believe they stopped logging times due to it is "illegal" to hike the incline. I haven't been able to pull that list in years. I do remember it ranged from approx. 18 to 45 minutes by members in the club. I don't remember where their start point was but I'm pretty sure it was the Cog.

While we are speaking of it I will "self proclaim" myself heavy-weight champion of the incline. 36:55 (best time) at 235 lbs starting from Barr Trail P/L. I'm sure there are better....I just haven't heard or seen it.
When people get scared they call the cops; when cops get scared they call K-9.

Postby CO Native » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:34 am

Nice, I'm 225 but just have not been able to break the 40 minute mark.

There used to be a thread on best times at http://www.manitouincline.net until the forum went down for a while. It's back up now so you could start a new thread on that topic there.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby davebobk47 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:52 am

26:31 is my best which I did about 3-4 years ago. Just for some idea I was running about 18 min 5K and I did a 1:20 half marathon about the same time frame. I've found that to break 32 requires some running.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality." -T.E. Lawrence

Postby Tabasco78 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:59 am

59 minutes.

That's right ladies, 59 minutes. Tell your friends.

Re:

Postby mountaingoat-G » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:43 pm

ScottieB wrote:
If you guys want to run another steep section, try running from the east Parking lot of Mt. Falcon to the top. I think that it's about 4 miles each way and a constant steep incline. My high school coach used to make us run this section for hill work

I've done the incline and live right near Mt. Falcon east TH. There is absolutely no comparison between the two trails. Actually, the word "trail" doesn't really apply to the incline. I would go on the record and say that no one on this planet (Hans Rey included) could ever ride up the incline on any bike.

Postby MUni Rider » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:50 pm

I need to get back over there some time to time myself unincumbered.

I usually carry my unicycle up to ride down the bar trail. No chance I'm gonna even try riding down the incline however.

Last year a group of us carried a pony-keg up the incline to the top and did keg stands. We offered everyone we passed "FREE BEER!!!" to help take some of the weight off. That was a new kind of fun. I fell off the unicycle a couple times on the way down Barr that day. Tipsy to say the least. The best part of that trip was when I fell off the wheel about 1/2 mile from the bottom, going over the right edge of the trail and landed in the tops of some trees, giggling. I think that lady with the dog thought I was gonna die, but I suffered nothing but a small hip bruise and a few minor leg cuts. Good times.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby mtgirl » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:27 pm

MUni Rider wrote:I usually carry my unicycle up to ride down the bar trail.

I was on the Incline yesterday. When I got done, I saw a guy strapping his mountain bike onto a harness on his back to carry it up the incline. I was thinking he was crazy....that the 3 mile ride back down the Barr Trail wasn't worth the torture of lugging that thing up the Incline. I'll now add you to my lists of "crazies"..... :shock: :D

Next time you bring the keg up, however, let me know so I can bring my beer mug ! :iluvbeer:
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby ozone » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:25 pm

mtgirl wrote:
MUni Rider wrote:I usually carry my unicycle up to ride down the bar trail.

I was on the Incline yesterday. When I got done, I saw a guy strapping his mountain bike onto a harness on his back to carry it up the incline. I was thinking he was crazy....that the 3 mile ride back down the Barr Trail wasn't worth the torture of lugging that thing up the Incline. I'll now add you to my lists of "crazies"..... :shock: :D

Next time you bring the keg up, however, let me know so I can bring my beer mug ! :iluvbeer:

I have carried a mtn bike up the incline a few times. At the time it was great training for race in Moab where you had to do Jacobs Ladder. If you are not familar with jacobs ladder is almost a class 3 bike carry up a cliff for nearly 1000ft. Great fun and the incline is good training for it.

Postby mtgirl » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:42 pm

Very cool, Ozone. I think I'll re-phrase my earlier comment by saying your guys aren't "crazy".....just hardcore and determined. Two of my most favorite traits in people. =D>
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby kreibach » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:45 am

I used to train by going up and down the incline with a 40 lb backpack, sometimes in the snow. Treacherous, But WOW, what a workout! And after you fall once you have some intense focus on foot placement. :shock:
take me back to colorado!!!

Previous