Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Incline

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Incline

Postby skwid » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:26 pm

Just had an amazing round on the incline... but I can't seem to get my time down... and tips on picking up speed on the incline... I want to run it under 20 minutes... but damn just isn't happening...

Postby USAKeller » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:39 pm

You should build your endurance up- longer periods of cardio (1 hour or more). It'll get you faster. And by doing 1 day worth of interval training to get your heart rate up to achieve anaerobic levels, that will get you faster as well.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby guitmo223 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:12 pm

Some guy passed me up towards the top, and I actually found myself pondering "I wonder if that's Skwid?" True story. I made it to the top around 11:15 or so, if that was you.

God, it was crowded today. I've never seen so many people up there. The Incline is starting to look more like Disneyland.
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill

Postby skwid » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:48 pm

No I was playing soccer at 11:00... I was finishing at around 5:00 p.m...

Maybe another day you will spot the allusive skwid...

Yeah... I think if I'm going to go faster I need to focus on more cardio... and stop lifting as much wait... I'm just slowing myself down... pecks get the girls but not speed...

I also found out that the incline is the best place to pick up hot girls... I mean you have these girls and the are instantly impressed when you run by... and then all you have to do is throw out a cheesy line... and they fall for you...

Postby rlw49 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:05 pm

skwid
Oh to be young again! I get the same results with a $100 bill hanging out of my pocket. Doh!

Postby guitmo223 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:29 pm

There was a dude I saw this morning who was hard core. He had gone up the incline, had just run down the incline, and turned around and went back up it. I saw him near the top coming back down. This dude was insane.

Perhaps you should put reps into your incline workouts. I'm sure that would help...
Last edited by guitmo223 on Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill

Postby Kevin Baker » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:34 pm

skwid:

What's your best time on the incline? Do you run very much of it? You would pretty much have to jog the whole thing to get your time down to 20 min, and I would say easily less than 1% have been able to do this. I think Matt Carpenter has done it in 18 min or so. I have seen a guy do it in 23 min while I was on it, but very rarely do I see somebody running it.

I have found that traversing the ties doesn't make it feel as steep, but I don't know if it really improves your time b/c you are going farther. My best time is 28:45 for Barr TH, but I don't do enough serious cardio other than peak bagging to get my time down much.

Postby guitmo223 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:11 pm

skwid wrote:Yeah... I think if I'm going to go faster I need to focus on more cardio... and stop lifting as much wait... I'm just slowing myself down... pecks get the girls but not speed...

I also found out that the incline is the best place to pick up hot girls... I mean you have these girls and the are instantly impressed when you run by... and then all you have to do is throw out a cheesy line... and they fall for you...

How do you lower your time up the incline when you slow down to throw out cheesy lines to hot girls? :?

Postby thebeave7 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:23 pm

Where is this incline you speak of? :wink:

Eric

Postby guitmo223 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:36 pm

thebeave7 wrote:Where is this incline you speak of? :wink:

Eric

It's pretty easy to find. Just go to Manitou Springs and follow the signs to the Cog Railroad. You will not find parking in the Barr trail parking lot, but you can park on Ruxton Road approaching it. Expect to walk a half mile or more just to get to the trail head.

Just remember, the Incline is the unmarked trail to the right, the Barr trail is the marked trail to the left.

Postby Dan the Mountain Man » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:15 pm

Skwid,

How much do you do the incline? I study in the Springs and have had some pretty bad times, but if I do it a lot I can definately see improvement. I go three times a week and have shaved my time to 29 minutes up and 25 down (using the Barr Trail.) I imagine if you do it a lot and throw in a rest day here in there it will be really good.

Also, I wouldn't stop lifting altogether. I find my strong arms help me get momentum getting up the steps and stonger legs obviously help getting up too.

Dan
Bis zur Grenze gefordet, koennen wir alle mehr, als wir wollen -Reinhold Messner

One does not climb to attain enlightenment, rather one climbs because he is enlightened- Zen Master Futomaki

Postby Geof3 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:28 pm

So what is your time and from where to where?

Carpenter did his time when the middle steep was actually much like the top above the false summit. This was from absolute bottom to the top. Can't give you any tips without knowing your best time. Carpenter did it by hitting two to three steps at a time an ran the whole thing. Really getting faster on the incline is a weight thing. How much do you weigh? Carpenter is TINY...

If you want to see impressive watch Apollo Ono do it some time. He bounds up it from a squat position.
Blue Steel

Next