Ojos Del Salado partner needed

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wicor
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Ojos Del Salado partner needed

Post by wicor »

After some waiting i got the reply from DIFROL:
"You ask if it is possible to obtain permission from DIFROL for an expedition composed of a single person. In this regard, it is reported that it is possible, and that this permit is required if you have a domicile abroad and wish to carry out a complete or advanced mountaineering expedition in national territory."

So the information about minimum 2 people on the website is outdated.
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

wicor wrote:After some waiting i got the reply from DIFROL:
"You ask if it is possible to obtain permission from DIFROL for an expedition composed of a single person. In this regard, it is reported that it is possible, and that this permit is required if you have a domicile abroad and wish to carry out a complete or advanced mountaineering expedition in national territory."

So the information about minimum 2 people on the website is outdated.
if you got a personalized message from them then you are doing better than me!

My expedition is 13th - 20th with one extra day at the end if needed. What days will you be there? You should pm me your phone number if our dates overlap. I'm not sure what the phone coverage is but I'm planning on getting whatever calling plan is needed for Chile.
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
wicor
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wicor »

I'll be in Chile in February.

From what I read on the internet, in the area of Ojos there is no cell phone coverage.

I also did not get answers to simple e-mails, you need to send a question via the form on DIFROL page - it's working :) Link below:
http://oirs.difrol.cl/formulario-contacto-oirs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

So, did you go/make it?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Does anyone know if Ojos is a good choice to climb after Aconcagua, being based in Santiago, Chile? Looking to see if it can be done in about 4-5 days.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
mikefromcraig
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

Scott P wrote:So, did you go/make it?
Yeah, I did a trip report on 14ers.com last week.
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
mikefromcraig
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

I Man wrote:Does anyone know if Ojos is a good choice to climb after Aconcagua, being based in Santiago, Chile? Looking to see if it can be done in about 4-5 days.
If you are already acclimatized it could easily be done in 4-5 days from Santiago as long as you aren't selective about the weather.

Day 1: drive from Santiago to Laguna Verde

Day 2: drive to 17,000' Atacama (or higher if the conditions allow), summit, drive back down to Laguna Verde to sleep

Day 3: drive back to Santiago.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

mikefromcraig wrote:
I Man wrote:Does anyone know if Ojos is a good choice to climb after Aconcagua, being based in Santiago, Chile? Looking to see if it can be done in about 4-5 days.
If you are already acclimatized it could easily be done in 4-5 days from Santiago as long as you aren't selective about the weather.

Day 1: drive from Santiago to Laguna Verde

Day 2: drive to 17,000' Atacama (or higher if the conditions allow), summit, drive back down to Laguna Verde to sleep

Day 3: drive back to Santiago.
Excellent, thanks Mike. That is what I figured after reading your TR earlier. Nice work and thanks for posting.
Maybe I will email your outfitter that you listed in the report.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I wouldn't recommend it. I found it to be an ugly, shapeless, windy scree pile. There are so many more beautiful mountains in Chile. Why not climb El Juncal or Tronador? They are way more beautiful and are more "alpine".

You have said many times that you have no intetest in those drier peaks and now you want to do two of them?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.