Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

TR: Cerro Aconcagua 22,840

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.
CG_old

Postby CG_old » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:52 pm

Awesome photos, nice job! The shots of the penitentes are wild!

pbakwin: Good to see you guys are alive. People on the BTR run last night were beginning to get a little worried since no one had heard from you or Steph (combined with some reports of accidents on Kili in the last month). :-)

Postby Scott P » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:16 pm

Nice TR!

Postby kiddrockies » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:40 pm

Best post ever!!!! I want to do that climb!
The Lord God is my strength, and He will make my feet like hind's feet, and He will make me to walk upon the high places.
Habakkuk 3:19

And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up the mountain by himself to pray.
Matthew 14:23

Postby doumall » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:58 pm

Congrats JC, Im very envious. Nice TR too, it was a good read for sure. Cant wait to get there some day.

Postby Yog » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:00 pm

Great job JC, and congrats! Thanks for posting your excellent report!!!
. . .Now, after the hours of torment . . . I have nothing more to do than breathe . . .I am nothing more than a single, narrow, gasping lung, floating over the mists and the summits.
-Reinhold Messner

Postby USAKeller » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:47 pm

Jordan,
That's a sweet report- Aconcagua looks like it was such a great mountain to climb!
All we are called to do is do the next right thing.

Postby Aubrey » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:56 pm

Thanks for posting, JC. Awesome stuff!

Postby Jcwhite » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:22 pm

Thanks all, it really was a fun trip, and I had fun putting together the report, although it took a while.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby Bullwinkle » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:37 pm

Wonderful and compelling account! Note to self: no group pictures on the bridge unless it's bath time on the way down! :lol:

If you come in from the Chilean side from Santiago, to Los Andes, to Paso del Bermejo you will be at 3,863m where the statue, Cristo Redentor is. Then down the pass (if documents in order) to Las Cuevas in Argentina at 3112m. From Las Cuevas (a.k.a., Villa Fronteriza de las Cuevas) you still have ~14-18k north to reach Aconcagua Provincial Park. The peak is 12k east of the Chilean boarder.

For a tamer and shorter journey one could take on Cerro Bismarck at 4,735m and/or Cerro del Plomo at 5,424m (the closest 5,000m peak to Santiago). Starting point is easily accessible from the ski station at La Parva, above Farellones and El Colorado. You'll need to stay over a day or two at altitude, at one of the ski stations, because Santiago is at only 600m. With a good pair of binoculars we could see the ski station at La Parva from our house in Las Condes, on the foothills side of town.

Cerro La Paloma at 4,900m and El Altar at 5,222m (plan a combo) are close access from the mining district of La Disputada not far from Santiago.

The massive volcano Tupungato rises 6,565 straight east of Santiago. It is a remote 2-weeker, but many find it a desirable ascent.

La Paz Bolivia offers some good "go-big", close-in options with Illimani and Huayna Potosi in the 6,500m range. One advantage of using La Paz as a base is the airport at El Alto is above 4,000m and the city is at about 3,600m

It all comes down to time and money, doesn't it? And we often have one without the other. :lol:
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed

Postby Alex » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:42 am

Nice trip :!:
Nice report :!: :!:
Strong group :!: :!: :!:
Favorable weather :!: :!: :!: :!:
I was in the normal route at the end of January - beginning of February. There was a heavy snow for 6 days in a row. Daily pattern included sunny morning and snowstorms in the afternoon (very similar to Colorado :wink: ). Such a weather is unusual for this time of year according to "Los Andes" newspaper, though. Anyway, we were not able to get to the summit. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Regarding one-day hike, I have heard that the previous record had been 23 hours round trip on normal route and that it has been improved to 13 hours recently. I can barely imagine how it could be done. Even not mentioning horizontal miles, it is 4000 meters (over 13000') elevation gain from Horcones Ranger station to the summit.
The only thing better than mountains are mountains to which you have never been!

Postby pbakwin » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:07 am

Hey Chris,

Thanks! I can now report that it is also quite feasible to climb
Kilimanjaro in a day from the trail head. The hard part is not
so much the climb, as all the rules and regs, and the fact that
a guide is required. Steph & I tried to continue on above
Kibo Hut (15,500) without our guide (who was 1.5 hours behind),
but were chased down by the park authority. Having been there
I'm pretty sure that a person could set this up (and much cheaper!)
by contacting the park authority directly, but you might have to
go there in person to do it.

Cheers,
PB

Postby Bodacious » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:56 am

Awesome, Jordan! Very inspiring! Sure wish I had heard of these expeditions when I was at CSU.

Here's the latest article I've come across about a speed record:
http://www.mounteverest.net/news.php?news=15572
"To travel, to experience and learn: that is to live."
- Tenzing Norgay

PreviousNext