Mt. Fuji - Worth it?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Mt. Fuji - Worth it?

Post by TheOtherIndian »

I'll be in Japan for a few days for work and was considering hiking up Fuji. I notice two different points of view online - extremely hyped up hike with hut experience, sunrise experience etc from non hikers and then the view that its a boring mountain with long lines and trash (seen on this site).

If I hike it, I'll be doing it on the last weekend before the trail 'closes' in mid September, so it might be lesser crowds than usual. The whole trip with sparse bus service from Tokyo seem to consume 2 days however I plan it. Considering I have to decide between hiking Fuji or sightseeing Kyoto, I'm trying to pick the most enjoyable option.

So, the question is if there's anything to look forward to on the hike at all except for ticking off a well hyped international peak? Would my time be better spent elsewhere in japan?

Also any suggestions about Tokyo and Kyoto are welcome.

Thanks!
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez
Southern Appalachian
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Mt. Fuji - Worth it?

Post by Southern Appalachian »

Topping out on Mt. Fuji was very sad - disgusting actually. I would definitely recommend Kyoto over climbing the mountain ... OH ... and by ALL MEANS ... take a dip at an onsen 8-[
kenichi4692
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 52 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kenichi4692 »

Mt Fuji is a beautiful mtn to look at. Not to be on.
l hiked Mt Fuji about two decades ago.it wasn't dirty back then. You will see it on the way to Kyoto anyways....
akoller
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 23 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by akoller »

Definitely go to Kyoto instead and visit Nara if possible.
dereks95
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by dereks95 »

It's all a matter of perspective and expectations. If you go there expecting a pleasant mountain experience similar to what you've known you will be disappointed. That's not Fuji. To enjoy Fuji you have to appreciate it for what it is. It's a Japanese cultural experience. Where else can you share a mountain with literally tens of thousands of people lined with restaurants, hotels and souvenir stands? There's no other mountain like it and I had an absolute blast on that peak. If you do climb it, I recommend going during the heart of the season to see it in all its glory - not the end. I'm glad there's a mountain like Fuji - but I'm also glad there's only 1.

With that said, if your other option is Kyoto... I think I'd pick Kyoto. But this choice is a great problem to have.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

I can't imagine having the bandwidth to do it and not doing it. Other than skiing on Hokkaido, it is tops on my Japan list.

BONUS: Oh and yay for you, I realized I wasn't done with my thoughts on this subject. I haven't been to Japan before, but it's crazy to think you'd get a better "cultural" experience in any city as big as Kyoto vs. venturing into a more rural part of the country and seeing the real Japan. Cities are about the worst places in the world to experience a culture. All you get are the watered down polished tourist experience which is basically the same in every big city: see the tallest building, the museum with the most popular artist, the professional sports team, the port, the transportation center, the most popular spot to worship. To really know a country, you've gotta get out of the canned tourist traps, the mega-cities.
Last edited by 12ersRule on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Receiver16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Receiver16 »

I'll second dereks95. View it as a chance to stretch your legs and enjoy the fact that people from all over Japan and all over the world are sharing the mountain. The view from the top, down onto the lakes, is actually pretty nice -- if it's clear. Going late in the season and, perhaps, leaving earlier in the morning might help you beat the lines. You could also aim to stay in the highest hut to get out in front? If you got up there before sunrise, you could walk around the rim and find a private spot, instead of taking your turn at the gate where the trail ends. Worst part for me wasn't the line, though that wasn't really pleasant, so much as the slog through gravel on the way down. Poles wouldn't be the worst idea for that. But it was definitely well worth the trip in my view.

If you want to get more creative, there are some alternatives other than the standard route, etc. I wasn't aware/prepared enough to consider that when I went years ago. This looks like a pretty solid resource: http://www.garyjwolff.com/climbing-mt-fuji.html

Bear in mind that Kyoto is a major tourist destination as well, so it's not as if you're going to have it to yourself. And there are only so many temples you can see before they start to feel the same. Tokyo has plenty of good ones of its own. For me, Kyoto was worth it more for the old buildings and different feel. Wandering the old streets in the early morning/evening is quite nice. And I highly recommend the flea market if it's scheduled for when you are there -- was almost entirely local. Take the bullet train and just walk around, it's not a big town.

Choosing between them is tough. I was glad I did both, as they are equally interesting and fun cultural/tourist experiences. But I can see preferring the mountain experience if that's something that moves you (as I assume it does). Another option to replicate Kyoto, somewhat, without going there would be to hit Kamakura, which is closer to Tokyo, and/or find some older streets in Tokyo to wander.
ORION
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ORION »

I'd say "climb" Fuji, it won't seem like mountain climbing...more like the world's longest Conga line or maybe the Zombie Apocalypse. But it's a unique mountain and a unique cultural experience.

Of course, depressingly, you don't have to go to Japan for this, just hike Quandry on a Saturday in the summer.

"He who climbs Fuji is a wise man, he who climbs twice is a fool." old Japanese proverb
OklahomaMountainMan
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OklahomaMountainMan »

I climbed Fuji in August 2013 and I really enjoyed it. We went up via the Yoshida Trail. It was crowded but nothing too bad but this was probably because we didn't start climbing until 10 am. The huge crowds happen before dawn because everyone wants to see the sunrise from the summit. The stations are pretty cool and the brands are fun but be prepared to spend at least $2 on each brand (I have over 10 on my little souvenir stick). The summit crater is pretty big and takes about an hour to walk around. Potentially great views but it was really hazy and cloudy when I climbed it. The worst part is definitely the slog of a descent. Its on loose volcanic gravel and I lost count of the switchbacks around number 30. I would bring gators to keep from having to empty your boots every 45 seconds.

I did not get to make it to Kyoto but I have heard from many friends that it is their favorite city in Japan.

Either way, you should have an amazing time. Japan is a gorgeous country and you wont be disappointed!
On Mt Everest
Trip Reports (0)

Post by On Mt Everest »

Well I'm not sure if you have already been or not but I would say it isn't worth it. I mean I've lived in Japan for the last 3 years. Fuji was the first mountain I climbed. But it is actually a very easy climb. My recommendation is either go a little further north and hit Yarigadake in Nagano Prefecture or hit Kitadake. Both of those are more accute to the 14ers in Colorado. They are both very challenging with a good amount of scrambling involved. But I hope you enjoy(Ed) your trip.
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. Sorry for my late update.

I ended up skipping Fuji and heading to Kyoto. There was some strong typhoon going on and it rained non stop for a whole week while I was there. So I wanted to make use of whatever little sunny time I had for sightseeing. Kyoto was good, crowded in some places especially considering the beautiful photos of Buddhist shrines you see online all exude serenity. I learnt the hard way that most of them are shot at the right time at the right angle and are crowded the rest of the time :) But it was still worth it and a satisfying experience.

Here's some photos if anyone is interested - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... c646f2c7ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

12ersRule - I agree with the sentiment. Tokyo seemed much like New York to me with Japanese billboards :) But sometimes, when you are tight on time, even visiting big cities in a foreign land is a bonus.
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

I am glad that you generally enjoyed your trip to Japan. I had tried a 1-day trip to Fuji using the bus. As you mentioned, that is virtually impossible since the first bus is not early and the last bus comes too soon in the afternoon. I ended up 20 minutes from the top with insufficient time if I didn't want to get stuck for a night. I was not in 14er shape at the time, so perhaps it is possible if I were better acclimated and more fit. It still would be a tight squeeze for a day unless you are like Andrew Hamilton. It is an ugly mountain with an ugly trail, but it is the world's 35th most prominent peak - if that is important to you...