MX Volcano Questions

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Re: MX Volcano Questions

Post by Steve Climber »

Gabriel wrote:I think you're making this into a big deal. It's really an easy trip logistically and a one foot in front of the other climb.

G
+2 This.

The glacier climb truly is a non-issue. I've heard the Labyrinth can present some tricky conditions, but (like I said earlier) we did part of it in trail runners and trekking poles before we realized we were even on it. Once you're over that, the glacier is
a one foot in front of the other climb
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

I know I'm probably over ANAL-yzing.

OK so:

1) Get in tip top shape (core and strength not to be ignored)
2) Get some Pesos at DIA and a few passport photo copies.
3) Practice cramponing and self arrest.
4) Hydrate, eat well, acclimate well.
5) Navigate the Labyrinth and one foot in front of the other.

I think I got it.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

timf wrote:I know I'm probably over ANAL-yzing.

OK so:

1) Get in tip top shape (core and strength not to be ignored)
2) Get some Pesos at DIA and a few passport photo copies.
3) Practice cramponing and self arrest.
4) Hydrate, eat well, acclimate well.
5) Navigate the Labyrinth and one foot in front of the other.

I think I got it.
Nailed it. Best of luck with your trip! It's a blast.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
HikeforTurns
14ers: 58 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HikeforTurns »

Here is the schedule we had back in March of 2008:

3/22 - Nevado de Toluca 15,390'
3/23 - La Malinche 14,640'
3/24 - Sierra Negra 15,354' (after a bailed attempt on Izta)
3/25 - Approach Orizaba, sleep in the hut (bring earplugs)
3/26 - Pico de Orizaba 18,490'
3/27 - Cofre de Perote 14,049'
3/28 - Iztaccihuatl 17,159'
3/29 - Mexico City Pyramids and Anthro Museum.

I thoroughly enjoyed the other peaks. I wouldnt miss out on them if you have time. Izta was much more challenging to me than Orizaba, due to the long ridge at elevation. Had some lightining and hail on the descent. We rented a car and handled our own navigation. Slept at the trailheads or lower. I would recommend trying to do a bunch of 13er/14er linkups with a lot of time spent above 13k. Like Loveland Pass to Guanella Pass.
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

Could someone hook me up with a reliable contact in Puebla to help coordinate an ascent of Malinche ? Big cities intimidate me and I'm going solo. My overall plan is to get a idea of logistics for later trip to climb/hike other mountains in the region. Please PM me with helpful info---thank you!
( I am old,fat and slow,one foot in front of the other)

Craig
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Could someone hook me up with a reliable contact in Puebla to help coordinate an ascent of Malinche ?

There is a bus that goes right to the trailhead. Check something like the Thorne Tree Travel Board, Lonely Planet book, or Moon Book to find out the bus number which station the bus leaves from. If you are in Puebla, just ask a taxi driver to take you to that bus station (centro de autobuses). If you are afraid of a taxi driver not speaking English simply write down your desired bus station on a piece of paper and give it to the driver. Make sure your fare is either metered or a fair price as sometimes they overcharge gringos.

One you are at the trailhead, it shouldn't be any harder to find your way up La Malinche than any of the Sawatch 14ers, for example.

PS, I can't PM you. It says you don't exist. :?:
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Gabriel
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gabriel »

You can hike Malinche in a day round trip using public transport from Puebla. Take a bus from the main bus station (CAPU) to the town of Apizaco. From Apizaco there are many minibuses close to the bus station. Ask or look for one that has a sign saying ISS Malinche. This will take you directly to the trailhead. From there it's an easy dirt path to the summit. There is a very short bit of scrambling to get on the summit, but this could possibly be avoided if you circle around to the other side of the mountain.

Have fun,

G
drewski
14ers: 47  6 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (0)

Post by drewski »

Also one can camp at the trailhead or stay in the cabins. The "cabins" fill up on weekends and holidays. It is the "IMSS centro vacacional La Malinche".