Kilian Jornet headed to Everest

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RobertKay
14ers: 58  4  3 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (10)

Kilian Jornet headed to Everest

Post by RobertKay »

Kilian is working on his next challenge. I hope it doesn't kill him. The current fastest time from base camp to summit is 8 hours 10 minutes set in 2004 by Pem Dorje. At first it sounds like Kilian's goal (20 hours up, 35 hours RT) doesn't make sense until you read a little further down in the story. To keep these times in perspective, consider that the average fit and acclimatized Westerner needs 5 to 8 hours to get to Camp 1, three more to reach Camp 2, 4 to 8 hours to Camp 3, 5 to 9 hours to get to Camp 4 and then 8 to 14 to summit. Add all this up and it is 25 hours of climbing with significant rest periods between each move and he plans to start well below base camp and get it done in 20 hours. Time will tell.

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/ru ... cebookpost" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peakmarker.com
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Re: Kilian Jornet headed to Everest

Post by jmanner »

RobertKay wrote: The current fastest time from base camp to summit is 8 hours 10 minutes set in 2004 by Pem Dorje. At first it sounds like Kilian's goal (20 hours up, 35 hours RT) doesn't make sense until you read a little further down in the story.
Your math leaves me much confused :-k The record is eight hours up and he is trying to do it in 20 hours, based on your post it doesn't seem like he's trying to break the record. However, when one pulls up the Outside link it clearly talks about "FKT" attempt...

edit: This makes more sense now
Jornet remains cagey when asked about the details of his Everest FKT attempt. He wouldn’t elaborate on his gear or fueling strategy, but he did divulge one tantalizing detail. To make his bid more “logical,” as he put it, Jornet plans to start much lower than 17,600-foot Base Camp, where previous record seekers have launched. Instead, he’ll begin in one of the villages below (he won’t say which one), adding another 14,000 feet and a marathon’s worth of mileage to his ascent.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
RobertKay
14ers: 58  4  3 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (10)

Post by RobertKay »

As mentioned in my OP, the Outside article explains the discrepancy. Kilian plans to start at one of the villages below base camp.

"Jornet remains cagey when asked about the details of his Everest FKT attempt. He wouldn’t elaborate on his gear or fueling strategy, but he did divulge one tantalizing detail. To make his bid more “logical,” as he put it, Jornet plans to start much lower than 17,600-foot Base Camp, where previous record seekers have launched. Instead, he’ll begin in one of the villages below (he won’t say which one), adding another 14,000 feet and a marathon’s worth of mileage to his ascent."

Now, to get 14,000 feet below base camp would put him far more than a marathon's distance away. I suspect that to get down to a 3,600 foot elevation would take 75 miles or more. As hard to believe as this is, my suspicion is that the writer got this part of the story wrong. My guess is Kilian will reevaluate his plan once he gets there and begin his attempt from base camp or Gorak Shep at the most. This all raises the unanswerable question of where does a mountain truly begin (next to it, at the low point between two peaks, at sea level, or the bottom of the ocean, etc). Purists, you go ahead and talk among yourselves. :lol:

It will be interesting to watch.
Peakmarker.com
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

I'm guessing there's no FKT yet from whichever town he'll start, so his success is guaranteed if he gets to the top.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

As hard to believe as this is, my suspicion is that the writer got this part of the story wrong.
Probably so. I assume that the writer may have meant 14,000 feet total gain rather than 14,000 feet below base camp. 14,000 feet below the summit sounds much more reasonable.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Sounds like the ultimate "light and fast" alpinism! But didn't the guy have to be rescued somewhere in Europe last year?
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Scott P wrote:
As hard to believe as this is, my suspicion is that the writer got this part of the story wrong.
Probably so. I assume that the writer may have meant 14,000 feet total gain rather than 14,000 feet below base camp. 14,000 feet below the summit sounds much more reasonable.
I was thinking that he either meant 14,000 feet elevation gain (aka. starting at about 15,000 feet MSL) or starting at 14,000 feet elevation. It should be interesting to see how this unfolds.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
dereferenced
14ers: 25  1  15 
13ers: 19 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by dereferenced »

I think the 8 hour record is with oxygen, and it's 22:29 without:
http://www.mounteverest.net/story/stori ... 2004.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I'd guess his 20 hours is maybe the split time he wants from basecamp to summit?
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

polar wrote:Sounds like the ultimate "light and fast" alpinism! But didn't the guy have to be rescued somewhere in Europe last year?
Yes. Here's the thread: http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's also probably the greatest mountain athlete the world has ever seen. So he's got that going for him.