14ers.com member attempting K2

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

14ers.com member attempting K2

Post by Scott P »

Looks like Alan Arnette just left for K2:

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2014/06 ... -thoughts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck Alan!
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Re: 14ers.com member attempting K2

Post by Alpineair »

Thanks for posting this Scott!
I always enjoy following Alan's adventures.

Best of luck to Mr. Arnette, and wishing him a safe journey.
Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
RobertKay
14ers: 58  4  3 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (10)

Post by RobertKay »

awilbur77 wrote:Isn't it late in the season for K2? Good luck to Alan. I know he's raising $ for charity in the process.
K2, Broad Peak and Gasherbrum are in the Karakoram in Pakistan. The weather patterns are different from those in Nepal and are typically summer climbs. K2 is known as the Savage Mountain due to it being enormously dangerous. Be safe Alan!
Peakmarker.com
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Hoping and praying for safety, good weather, and a wonderful adventure.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Wow, wishing good fortune to Alan!
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Isn't it late in the season for K2?
It is somewhat late to start the climb of K2, but still reasonable. July and August are the best months for a climb there, so ideally you would want to be fairly high on the mountain sometime fairly close to the start of the best weather period.

No one has successfully climbed K2 outside the late June through early September time period, though people have tried.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Alan Arnette
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alan Arnette »

Thanks for posting Scott. Hopefully we will go for the summit in late July/early August - normal for K2. This part of the world has different weather patterns than Everest, thus a later, mid summer summit window. We are trying some different techniques as well to minimize our time high on the route to reduce objective dangers to us and the Sherpa supporting us. But it is still a very dangerous climb, regardless. Have trained harder than ever for this one - all on our beloved 14ers and with many members of 14ers.com.
mkrier
14ers: 58 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by mkrier »

Good luck!
Shaolin
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaolin »

Yeah, Good Luck!
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Good luck and go get it!! Show 'em how 'Mericans do it! :-D
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
Rainier_Wolfcastle
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 260 10
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Rainier_Wolfcastle »

Wishing you safe and successful climbing Alan! Kush told me you've been crushing it on your training climbs, I really hope all your hard work pays dividends on that brutally tough peak.
Shawn
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

All my best to you Alan, you are such an inspiration to us all....

Not only are you an amazing person, but also an amazing mountaineer - who was able to turn his passion for the mountains into fundraising opportunities and to honor his beautiful mother (Ida) who passed away in 2009.

Been following your training on FB and on your web page. You just get faster and more skilled the older you get Alan...you are ready!

Will look forward to following your progress and watching your blip as it progresses up K2!

Safe travels Alan and "Climb on!"
- Valerie
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright