Hiking and backpacking in Iceland

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nmclimber
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Hiking and backpacking in Iceland

Post by nmclimber »

I am planning a 7-10 day trip to Iceland mid-late June of next year and was wondering if anyone has suggestions for day hikes and backpacking trips? It seems like the Laugavegur Trail from Landmannalaugar to Thorsmork is popular and highly recommended along with the extension (Fimmvörðuháls trail) to Skogar. Does anyone have recommendations or advice for this trek? The huts along the trail seem convenient but expensive. It sounds like camping is allowed at the huts for a fee but I was finding conflicting information about whether camping outside of these designated sites is allowed. I believe the huts/trail will be opening for the season about the time I will be there. Is it possible to complete the trek before the huts/trail officially open? Any advice would be appreciated!
alpiner84
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Hiking and backpacking in Iceland

Post by alpiner84 »

Hi nmclimber,

I spent a month in Iceland a couple summers ago and did a fair amount of hiking. With just ~7 days, you'll probably want to stay in the southwestern corner of the island, otherwise you'll spend all your time driving to/from TH's.

A few areas/hikes come to mind:
1. Just north of Reykjavik is an excellent dayhike to a waterfall called Glymur. The hike is not too demanding, but is very scenic and not crowded at all. The beginning of the hike passes through some cool lava tube/cave formations, then ascends to the plateau above an immensely deep and impressive ravine. Views at the top are awesome, and peering down into the ravine is dizzying. I had a great time hiking there! The info at this link seems good: http://www.go-to-iceland.com/glymur.html

2. The hiking around Landmannalaugar is fantastic and stunning, though the drive out there might be prohibitive for you (unless you spend your entire time at Landmannalaugar). I didn't do a specific trek, rather I just spent a few days exploring the area in a series of dayhikes, of which there are dozens. Not sure about the huts beyond the main one in Landmannalaugar, which was quite nice. I'm petty sure I saw tents, but I know that most people prefer not to tent because of the fickle weather. Another option is sleeping in your car (which you will certainly need to get around to the hiking areas in Iceland).

3. There's a great dayhike (possibly an overnighter?) following the river/falls above Skogafoss on the southern part of the Ring Road. The views up to Eyafjatlajokull (the one that blew a few years ago) are beautiful, and there are too many waterfalls to take in. http://www.world-of-waterfalls.com/icel ... afoss.html

All the other hikes I did were in the further reaches of Iceland, so I don't think you'll have time for them. Hope this helps!
Finished the 14ers in 2013! On to other peaks in other countries: http://www.uneventenor.com
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Re: Hiking and backpacking in Iceland

Post by USAKeller »

If he doesn't reply to this thread, contact Kiefer; he'll have some suggestions for you.