Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bora Bora hiking/climbing?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Re: Bora Bora hiking/climbing?

Postby Dex » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:11 am

Scott P wrote:
The places you are considering are exotic - but there is much more in Australia.

I respectfully disagree. Mile for mile, French Polynesia (i.e. Bora Bora, Tahiti, Moorea) is much more scenic than Australia. The food in Australia is overall nasty as well (my least favorite in all my world travels). :-& The food is nothing like Outback Steakhouse. The most memorable part of Sydney was the being flashed by prostitutes (we were there on New Years though), but yes there are some attractions. Sydney has a party spring break-ish atmosphere rather than romantic.

Yes, Australia has good diving and good (and very interesting) wildlife, but in most areas the scenery is pretty ordinary. Darwin area may be an exception. Tasmania too.

For honeymooning, French Polynesia would be far superior than Australia (I've been to both). For a single college guy looking for a spring break-ish party atmosphere, Sydney would be fine.

BB is 47 square miles - more scenic then Australia! Please! Naked boobs - OMG! (Chances are good they weren't prostitutes - just friendly locals. Prostitution is legal in Australia, so the working girls were probably inside - no need to advertise.) I'm sure there were a few swinging free in BB.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g255060-Activities-Sydney_New_South_Wales.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=things+to+do+in+cairns++australia&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

It all comes down to what a person likes - I like doing different things and roads less traveled/touristy.

And if we are talking about romantic - Paris, France (not Texas) would be high on the list. And, romance is not found in a place but in your heart.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Scott P » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:35 am

BB is 47 square miles - more scenic then Australia!

Yes; especially per mile beauty. I doubt that there is anything as scenic as French Polynesia around Cairns or Sydney.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bora+bora&FORM=HDRSC2#a

Obviously Australia is a lot bigger though.

Also, I didn't say that Australia/Sydney was bad (I'd like to return for some canyoning in the Blue Mountains), but that French Polynesia was overall more beautiful/romantic, especially per mile. There are some lovely areas in Australia for sure.

The main attraction for me at least in Australia is the wildlife. Lots of interesting stuff found nowhere else. Per mile, I also thought New Zealand was also more spectacular overall than the area around Sydney. We did both on the same trip and spent much of a (North American) winter between the two.

It all comes down to what a person likes - I like doing different things and roads less traveled/touristy.

True and I also like the roads less travelled. Next time I am in Australia I hope to fly Cairns to Papua New Guinea, though I'm a bit concerned about safety, which why I haven't done it yet. I wouldn't go on a honeymoon to New Guinea though.

There are lots of places one could go on a honeymoon, but I was sticking to the places the original post was about.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I think French Polynesia is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Although it still had it's attractions, I didn't have that same impression after visiting the area around Sydney (perhaps partially because we had just spent over a month in New Zealand). In French Polynesia, I liked the ocean, the people, the hiking/climbing (which I never saw a soul on any of them), and the waterfalls. What I didn't like was the cost of everything (a quart of milk was something like $3) and the heat and humidity (which won't matter if you are just doing water activities).

In Australia I liked the wildlife (especially), hiking, and coastline (I'm not really a big city person). Seeing kangaroos, koalas, etc. when you are out hiking and camping is actually pretty fun. Although its a big place and I only know a smattering of it, with the exception of maybe Darwin or Tasmania, I still am skeptical that there is anywhere in Australia as scenic as French Polynesia or even much of New Zealand.

As mentioned, French Polynesia is one of the most scenic places I've seen in the world, and I have been to a fair amount of places (all the countries I've been to are marked in red):
Attachments
trav.jpg
trav.jpg (39.44 KiB) Viewed 276 times
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Dex » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:00 am

Scott P wrote:
BB is 47 square miles - more scenic then Australia!

Yes; especially per mile beauty.

OK, you got me on the per mile thing.

I like your style.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby davebks » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:56 am

one other thought we had recently was Grenada...
Anyone been??

Postby Kevo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:51 pm

Fiji is awesome, and if you get outside the major resort areas it is relatively cheap compared to Hawaii or the Caribean. I'm not sure of any established climbing areas in Fiji, but there is definitely good rock on some of the outer islands.

The best food and beaches per dollar spent I've come across so far is Thailand. If you negotiate rate in the less traveled areas, you can get a bungalow on the beach for $5-15/night and food for a few dollars. If you want to climb and be in a tropical beach location, there is probably no better place in the world. It can take a lot of travel (trains/minibuses/buses/boats) to get to some of the less developed and more remote areas, so you'll want a couple weeks there at a minimum if you plan to get outside the major resort areas.

I'm headed to the Cook Islands in August- I'm pretty excited to check out another corner of the South Pacific. We are bringing snorkel gear and the house we are renting has a scooter for exploring the island and a two person sea kayak to keep us busy. We plan to hike for a day, but aren't planning on climbing.

Postby nyker » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:57 am

Dave, how much time are you giving yourself?

How about this: Fly to Australia - but stop off in Tahiti/Moorea/Bora Bora for a few days before or after. Many flights stop there anyway with the option to extend for no extra flight cost. Moorea is very nice with few tourists and only a 45min ferry from Tahiti.

I lived in Sydney for a while. Australia has awesome beaches, especially the ones you need to hike to where you may not see a soul. Sydney and Melbourne and then pan out from there. Great Ocean Road is a must see all along tons of nice beaches and ocean scenery. You also get a lot of unique wildlife and a "bush experience" along the way. The Great Barrier Reef and The tropical North also has some nice spots up there.

Then there is Bali, south Thailand...

Postby Layne Bracy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:51 pm

We went to Tahiti for our honeymoon, visiting 3 islands for 3 days each.

On Bora Bora, we tried to hike Mt Pahia without a guide. The trail disappeared fairly quickly, but we kept going up for a couple hours until a cliff blocked progress. Things really got interesting on the descent. The thick vegetation prevents any view of the general terrain.

We descended until realizing that daylight was right in front of us and we were cliffed out. We would then ascend, move laterally and try to descend again. Over and over. For awhile it seemed that we might end up bivying on the mountain, despite being able to see the village and ships on the coast just 1-2 miles away.

Next time, we'll hire a guide! :)

Postby davebks » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:04 am

Thanks all, we are now leaning toward Grenada as an option. It is closer and offers a lot of the same kinds of things to do. I am still not 100% yet but I think it made more sense in the long run.
Anyone been there?

Postby Dex » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:13 am

davebks wrote:Thanks all, we are now leaning toward Grenada as an option. It is closer and offers a lot of the same kinds of things to do. I am still not 100% yet but I think it made more sense in the long run.
Anyone been there?

Didn't someone say you could get the experience you were looking for in the Caribbean?
Montani Semper Liberi

Previous