Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Yuichiro Miura, 80yrs old summits Everest

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Re: Yuichiro Miura, 80yrs old summits Everest

Postby Kent McLemore » Thu May 23, 2013 1:28 pm

His three Everest summits have occurred at ages 70, 75 and 80. Each time only to be topped by Nepalese climber Min Bahadur Sherchan who is one year Miura's elder. Sherchan is on the mountain now aiming for number 4 at age 81.

"Rival climber, Nepal's Min Bahadur Sherchan, has matched him every step of the way, shattering Miura's records. In 2008, he successfully made the climb to Everest's summit one day before Miura, at the age of 76 and 340 days, according to the Guinness World Records site. Sherchan, now 81, is attempting yet another trip to the summit in hopes of beating the record Miura set today on Everest."

http://abcnews.go.com/International/japanese-octogenarian-oldest-man-reach-summit-mount-everest/story?id=19238945
"Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." - John Muir

Postby Oman » Thu May 23, 2013 1:32 pm

Would be fun to watch those two guys cross paths on the mountain -- the 80-year-old summiter and his way down, and the 81-year-old rival on his way up. I wonder what they say to each other.

Postby Steve Climber » Thu May 23, 2013 1:34 pm

Kent McLemore wrote:His three Everest summits have occurred at ages 70, 75 and 80. Each time only to be topped by Nepalese climber Min Bahadur Sherchan who is one year Miura's elder. Sherchan is on the mountain now aiming for number 4 at age 81.

"Rival climber, Nepal's Min Bahadur Sherchan, has matched him every step of the way, shattering Miura's records. In 2008, he successfully made the climb to Everest's summit one day before Miura, at the age of 76 and 340 days, according to the Guinness World Records site. Sherchan, now 81, is attempting yet another trip to the summit in hopes of beating the record Miura set today on Everest."

http://abcnews.go.com/International/japanese-octogenarian-oldest-man-reach-summit-mount-everest/story?id=19238945

What a dick. :lol: Just goes to prove Nepal is top in the world for getting to top of the world.

Oman wrote:Would be fun to watch those two guys cross paths on the mountain -- the 80-year-old summiter and his way down, and the 81-year-old rival on his way up. I wonder what they say to each other.

Would it be racist to say I would hope for an old school Kung-Fu battle? 8-[
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Jim Davies » Fri May 24, 2013 8:20 am

Oman wrote:Would be fun to watch those two guys cross paths on the mountain -- the 80-year-old summiter and his way down, and the 81-year-old rival on his way up. I wonder what they say to each other.

Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Previous