Fisticuffs at 7,000ft (Everest)

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mike_kadow
14ers: 24 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Fisticuffs at 7,000ft (Everest)

Post by mike_kadow »

Yikes!

"Two European climbers were reported today to have been involved in a fierce fight with their Sherpas at 7,000m, close to Camp 3 and not far from the 8,848m summit."

The article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ummit.html

Edit: The article has been updated quite a bit, including the URL. :-"
Last edited by mike_kadow on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Fisticuffs at 7,000ft (Everest)

Post by San Juan Ron »

What do you expect from someone named Wool Stick? SJ Ron. :mrgreen:
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

By that measure, the start of the Lake Como road is "not far" from the summit of Blanca :shock:
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

There's so much wrong with this article.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

The fact that the headline writer (and the editor) don't know the difference between feet and meters doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the accuracy of the rest of the article.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

The fact that the headline writer (and the editor) don't know the difference between feet and meters doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the accuracy of the rest of the article.
The photo is also from the Tibet/Chinese side of the mountain. Before I read the article, I assumed that the incident happened on the Tibet side.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Tim A
14ers: 28  3 
13ers: 51 1
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Tim A »

Interesting. I read this on Alan Arnette's blog today. Problem is the article Alan links to seems to be talking about different climbers.
Update: Report issued by Moro of a fight Friday between Ueli Steck, Simone Moro and the Sherpa fixing rope on the Lhotse Face. Translation . It appears both sides became upset as they felt there was interference with one another during the rope fixing work. While it is serious if in fact blows were exchanged, I would not get too upset by this as it is easy for egos and tempers to get out of control in these compressed environments.

A Sherpa was reported to have been hurt by “falling ice” on Friday but it is not clear this was related to this incident. However, it is now pretty clear that the Sherpas taking a “rest day” day is related to the incident. Hopefully everyone has calmed down and can get back to climbing.

edit: Ah, the names appear to be describing the same people. That is, if "Wool Stick" is the same as " Ueli Steck." Not sure how anybody writing about climbing could mess that name up...
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Best. Writing. Ever. This is why I get all my climbing news from the Daily Mail.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

Heck,take some shovels and dig out a platform,use some pickets and rope to make a ring and let 'em go at it.I'm not sure how much floating like a butterfly and stinging like a bee a person could do at 7000 meters.Maybe the rope- a- dope would be the way to go. \:D/ ](*,)
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

The incident sounds quite serious.

But I can't stop giggling..."Wool Stick" has gotta be trouble. :lol:
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Depending on who says Üli Steck and who hears it, it would be easy for an native German speaker to be misunderstood by an English one, especially if it's Swiss German to Sherpa-English. "What was dee climmers name? Eet soundid like wOOL stEEk." Ever play the game Telephone? Much less with foreigners?
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

feet, meters, no big difference. ;)
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.