Orizba Aclimatization & Logistics

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mts4602
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Orizba Aclimatization & Logistics

Post by mts4602 »

Considering Orizba next winter. I'm looking for advice on an aclimatization schedule. I do not know if I will be able to get up to 12-14k before the trip like most of you folks do in CO. Most of the trip reports I read have people going on day 1 to Mexico and Tlachichuca, and day two straight up to 14k. I don't think that would be a good idea for myself, but then again I've never gone up to and slept at 14k in what is essentially 1 day.

Only other issue is transportation to Tlachichuca. I know people keep saying to take the busses, but I'm not sure that's something I want to do in Meixco. Is there anyway to hire a driver? If I did decide to do the bus thing what specifically do I need to do? I think I'm more worried about going to the wrong place than anything.

Thanks,
Stephen Butler
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Orizba Aclimatization & Logistics

Post by Stephen Butler »

In regards to your second question, I just happened to stumble across a trip report a couple months ago where the authors hired a guy named Antonio to drive them from the airport. I have seen his name on one or two other reports as well. Below is a link to one of them (it takes you to his trip report on SummitPost). Maybe this will at least give you somewhere to start.

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Pico de Orizaba Trip

I went on this trip with 4 others last November... this report talks about logistics, the event, everything... if you feel it's missing something, PM me. We had no problems or fear with the buses in Mexico, from the Airport, to Puebla, to Tlachichuca.

As for your first question - being at altitude definitely helped us get the summit the morning after we arrived; we were planning on having one day above 13,900' for acclimatization and exploring around before heading for a summit attempt the second day. You would probably benefit from having two nights at altitude prior to the climb; use the first day to get up to the Labyrinth and test your elevation that day - if you really feel bad at 15,200' or 15,400' - take that into serious consideration. The glacier is no place to get light-headed or sick - especially if the ice is as bullet-proof as ours was in November.

Edit - this is the link to Concholas, the family that assisted us - they are invaluable and wonderful to work with. They assisted us in all aspects of travel, from Mexico City to their place in Tlachichuca. Click Here

Good luck!
Last edited by wildlobo71 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Mexico City is at an elevation of close to 8000’ so spending a night there before heading out to the mountain will start your acclimation. La Malinche is a fourteener and can be done as a day hike if you are already in position. Here is my trip report:
http://www.summitpost.org/la-malinche-with-utm/376073
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

You could PM kushrocks as he's done it twice now.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

what zedero1 said. I just got back for the second time last month. We hired the private driver both times which I highly recommend. I can give you his contact info if you would like. Shoot me a pm with any questions you may have and I will be happy to help answer them the best I can.

Its an awesome trip. You will love it.
mts4602
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mts4602 »

Thanks! That helps a lot.
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

The bus system in Mexico couldn't be easier, safer or cheaper... Especially if you aren't going to make an attempt on Ixta. From the airport you take a bus to Puebla, from there to Tlachichuca. Movies, air conditioning, snacks and maybe even wifi these days all for a few bucks. More info on logistics and the trip, including links to my two trip reports, can be found in this article I posted on Summitpost: http://www.summitpost.org/a-colorado-cl ... ico/684957" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yedi
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yedi »

Has anyone done Nevado de Toluca as a warm-up/acclimatization hike? I know it's on the "wrong" side of Mexico City and that's why most people seem to use La Malinche as a warm-up instead, but I think it'd be cool to try three of the four tallest in Mexico in one trip (obviously Popo is out) and try Nevado de Toluca as a warm-up instead. I have no idea what the logistics are like getting there and then back to the other side of Mexico City, so this could just be a pipe dream.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Has anyone done Nevado de Toluca as a warm-up/acclimatization hike?
Yes; but it has been a few years.

It's easy to get there using public transportation. A taxi would be extremely expensive and the bus system is very easy.

From Toluca, take the bus to Sultepec (every 20 minute or so-no problem finding one), but have them drop you off at Raices (probably the highest village in North America). The turnoff for the gravel road towards Toluca is just beyond Raices. You can walk the road for acclimatization or likely someone will offer to pick you up as well.

There is a good lodge called the Albergue (good camping there too) on the slopes as well as a smaller hut close to the crater.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
yedi
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yedi »

Awesome. Thanks, Scott.

Kind of hard to believe this just happened: "Hey, has anyone climbed a semi-obscure mountain in Mexico?" [Twelve minutes later.] "Yes, and here's exactly how to get there." 14ers is a remarkable place.
mtnjim
14ers: 57 
13ers: 215
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnjim »

I was on Toluca about a year ago for the Skyrace Mexiquense, a 26k that goes up the peak to just short of the final rocky push to the summit, starting on the road just above the albergue. Since the race didn't go all the way to the summit, I stayed at the hut and went up to the true summit the next day. The road is passable by a 2wd all the way to the hut at about 14000, so a couple of nights there would be better acclimatization than La Malinche. Though I didn't do it, it sure looked like a traverse around the rim would be possible.

Sounds as though you're planning Izta also. Not as high as Orizaba but I enjoyed that hike a lot more.

And if you get a move on, this year's Skyrace Mexiquense is sunday!

JimS