Vinson unguided

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Vinson unguided

Post by Scott P »

From the other direction, I don't think you can get through the Bellingshauser Sea by boat either.

If you did want to try it (though I think it would be very unlikely that you could do it), I'd ask Damien on SP.

Damien also seems to know the happenings there as well. If it doesn't have to be Vinson, he may be able to put you in touch with someone going out there by boat. A few years ago, he referred one of them to me, but I already had a trip booked that year. The trip was around $4.5K (not including airfare to Argentina), which isn't cheap, but less expensive than Vinson.

Quark also has options where you can camp, climb small peaks, and ice climb, but they are around 5K and the climbing part isn't the main objective, but more of a side activity.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Kevo
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Kevo »

Scott P wrote:
Just looked at a map- looks like the Vinson Massif is maybe 50 miles inland.
Isn't the Ronne Ice Shelf in the way? I think Vinson would actually be several hundred miles from where you could land a boat.
Damn. Google Maps shows the Ronne Ice Shelf as water.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Scott P wrote:
Just looked at a map- looks like the Vinson Massif is maybe 50 miles inland.
Isn't the Ronne Ice Shelf in the way? I think Vinson would actually be several hundred miles from where you could land a boat.
Sounds like you're looking for a hovercraft.

Plans are falling into place ;)

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Just an fyi on trying to be approved by ANI to go unguided on Vinson. A good friend of ours who was to be our 3rd team member (ANI requires a minimum of 3 on a team to go unguided) who has climbed Everest, Cho Oyu, Denali, Elbrus, Aconcagua, Kozi, Kili, Rainier, Shasta, a slew of volcanoes in Mexico, Ecuador, & Peru all mostly unguided was not approved to to go unguided with us. Its unfortunate but is what it is. Apparently, the requirements to go unguided are fairly stringent to say the least.
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Don't think so, Fletch. Could be an issue with dailly routine & activities. He lives in urban Cali so doesnt get out as much as us mountain folk do. A bit frustrating.
Guitarzan
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Guitarzan »

Of all the seven summits, Vinson is the one that interests me the most. I think its the remoteness that I find most intriguing. This one is definitely on my bucket list. Good luck.
"Pain don't hurt."- Patrick Swayze ROAD HOUSE
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Nice Fletch. Thats awesome you are targeting 2014/2015. However, I think Kristine & I are going to do everything possible to go this December 2013.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

jbchalk wrote:Don't think so, Fletch. Could be an issue with dailly routine & activities. He lives in urban Cali so doesnt get out as much as us mountain folk do. A bit frustrating.
Wow, you'd figure with that climbing resume, he would be able to get out and train to be able to have trained for those peaks and is sufficiently fit.
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Yeah, you'd think he would be ok in being approved with that resume. I think its b/c he hasn't done any of the big guys (8000ers, Denali, etc) in 6 or so years.