Climbing in New Zealand?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
chrismjx
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (1)

Climbing in New Zealand?

Post by chrismjx »

I'm taking a trip to New Zealand in a couple weeks and I'm wondering about climbing some peaks there. Has anyone done this? Any tips or advice? Resources for route info?
BobbyFinn
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 573 5 7
Trip Reports (19)

Re: Climbing in New Zealand?

Post by BobbyFinn »

There are some TRs on 14ers.com about New Zealand hiking. Here's one from me: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=9839.

At the bottom of that report is a link to Summit Post's page for Avalanche Peak, a nice 1/2 day hike.

I'm sure SummitPost has other links to New Zealand stuff, like this one: http://www.summitpost.org/southern-alps/175979.

Bob
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Chris, what part of the country are you headed?

Here is a report I put up last year from the Tongariro region in the North Island - definitely worth visiting.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
flylikeabeagle
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by flylikeabeagle »

NZ would be an amazing place to climb. Say hi to Bret and Jemaine if you go
Can we drive any higher?
griddles
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by griddles »

Biggest question has already been asked; which island?
I spent 6 months on the south island walking around. One of my favorite climbs has already been mentioned. avalanche peak.
Stewart Island is worth a look as well. As are a number of places. But if you are on the north island other routes must be explored.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Also, if you are near Christchurch (South Island), drive up to Kaikoura and take one of the marine wildlife boat rides. You'll see a few different types of whales, the acrobatic dusky dolphins, the huge wandering albatross, other subantarctic birds and be in front of the great coastline the entire time. (photo 1-shows a shot from the boat with an albatross backdropped against the Kaikoura mountains)

Mount Cook area is also a real nice place worth spending a few days exploring (photos 1 and 2)
Attachments
DSC_0125-sc.jpg
DSC_0125-sc.jpg (171.17 KiB) Viewed 3266 times
DSC_6569-nice.jpg
DSC_6569-nice.jpg (269.4 KiB) Viewed 3266 times
DSC_7161-nice.jpg
DSC_7161-nice.jpg (253.49 KiB) Viewed 3266 times
GravityPilot
14ers: 18 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by GravityPilot »

All great suggestions so far. Avalanche Peak is in Arthur's Pass National Park, which is pretty amazing. There are some great day hikes in the area as well as some backcountry huts (more primitive than our huts here in CO), so the options for some thru hikes are good. Check out http://www.softrock.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , good beta on that site. This is my stomping ground during their winter at good 'ol Temple Basin Ski Field. If anyone is thinking of skiing in NZ this summer come say hey.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Kind of a vague question.

As mentioned, #1, you should state which island.

You should also mention as to whether or not you are versed with an ice axe and glacier travel.

Answers would be completely different based on the above.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Scuba Steve
14ers: 20 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Scuba Steve »

One of my most memorable hikes in New Zealand was an overnight stay in the Mueller Hut near Mt. Cook. Beautiful sunrise and fresh snow.
Muller Hut at Sunrise
Muller Hut at Sunrise
Mueller Hut.jpg (318.12 KiB) Viewed 3105 times
KyleS
14ers: 44  5  7 
13ers: 25 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KyleS »

We're also headed to NZ but in a different time frame. Right now it looks like arriving end of May and staying through mid-June, then returning mid-July through the end of August. Probably not the best times for mountaineering, but any suggestions would be helpful. We're also interested in multi-day backpacking trips, even without summits. We'll have camping gear so huts aren't crucial.

We have friends in Christchurch and Queenstown so we're probably going to stick to the South Island, but there's no reason we couldn't make it up to the North Island if the climbing is better. I'm confident in our crampon/ice axe skills and we've had a little experience with two tools on somewhat vertical ice. We don't have glacier travel experience, although we're planning on practicing skills a bit this spring around Colorado... And we have no experience in building rock or ice protection.

Thanks!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

That time of year, I'd suggest Abel Tasman. Kepler and Routeburn tracks are done that time of year too, but of course you have to go well prepared. Trekking up to Hooker Glacier in the Mt Cook area will be spectacular if you can hit it during good weather.

For summits without glacier travel, some possibilities would be Mt Luxmore on the South Island, and Taranaki, Ngauruhoe, Ruapehu, and Tongariro on the North Island.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Wyoming Bob
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 105 3
Trip Reports (53)

Post by Wyoming Bob »

If one is in Queenstown and wants a Bierstadt equivalent w/o the altitude and with 3000 ft. of vertical . . . couple of hours out . . . above treeline . . . with a view at the end . . . consider Ben Lomand. Perfect half day activity if the rest of the crew is doing the adrenaline gig or shopping, etc.

Trip Report HERE if interested.
Attachments
lomand1.jpg
lomand1.jpg (198.99 KiB) Viewed 3383 times
Wyoming Bob
http://www.climbingwithbob.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Win some . . . lose some . . . CaSO4.2H2O.