Mount Tongariro Erupting!

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Mount Tongariro Erupting!

Post by nyker »

Mount Tongariro started erupting last night in New Zealand!

The last time this volcano erupted was 1897.

Nothing major has happened yet except for some ashfall, but there is the
potential for a very large event. Apparently this was steam driven,
but some folks think this could trigger a larger magmatic event.

Why do I care and Why am I posting this?

I used to live in that region of the world on a work assignment and
I climbed Tongariro earlier this year, as well as two other neighboring volcanoes in
Tongariro National Park (see my trip report below for some views of the region):
Image #15 is the Ketetahi area where the eruption is said to have taken place.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something to look out for!

Other news clips:

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/live-up ... on-5010016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7426862 ... -100-years" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mount Tongariro Erupting!

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Wow, well written and depicted trip report! Beautiful colors down there - and amazing volcanic terrain.

If the eruption is phreatic (steam only) it could get violent for that reason. Or, it could just release steam and go quiet. The seismologists are probably closely watching their recording stations. A magmatic eruption is likely if local tremors become harmonic.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

I lived in NZ a couple years ago and climbed Tongariro. Great country! I am heading back to NZ in 2/13. Hope everything settles down by then. Thanks for posting.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

If the eruption drops it below 6000', you'll be damn glad you marked it off your 6er checklist before that happened. The rest of us will never be able to match it. I hope you got your 3000' of elevation gain in though; no going back now.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Billy the Kid
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Billy the Kid »

Great! I hope this doesn't turn out to be too bad. I have booked reservations to hike the Milford Track and Routeburn Track this February. I will be beyond pissed if this messes that up! We will be on the South Island, however, so hopefully we will be okay [-o<
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Yea, should be interesting! Hopefully it won't do much damage to the area or people's homes around there. The whole region there is beautiful.

Billy, you should be fine unless it does get more active and then if so, there could be an issue if you are planning to drive down the North Island or
have a flight from Auckland to Queenstown, which could be disrupted.

If you are flying directly into Christchurch then to Qtown you should be good since both of those tracks are in the deep south. If it does erupt (or trigger another nearby volcano to erupt (Ngaurahoe or Ruapehu), then the airlines should be able to work with you.

I've done the Routeburn and it was great! Expect to get wet though wherever you will be walking.