Winter in the Karokoram

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Winter in the Karokoram

Post by mountaingoat-G »

eagrnnr wrote:
letourneau41 wrote:
mountaingoat-G wrote:Climbing a peak doesn't equate to "conquering" it ...

just sayin'

con·quer - Successfully overcome.

Here is the definition of conquer. To successfully overcome. I'd say if you stood on K2 in the middle of winter and being the first person to do so, I'd say that would qualify as successfully overcoming the mountain. If that doesn't qualify please let me know how you would successfully overcome it.
I think he's meaning that "conquer" has certain vibes, like you've beaten the mountain into submission. The vast number of reports I've read on K2 is that in the summer it nearly beats its climbers into submission, and then allows them to linger on its summit for a few minutes. Hardly conquering.
yeah, very well put. No offence intended, but the term also implies an adversarial relationship between man & nature which doesn't sit well with probably most of us who love it. The term seems like a hold over from the old manifest destiny era....