WTF?!? More fun banter about Everest

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rpb13
14ers: 57  2  2 
13ers: 91
Trip Reports (6)

Re: WTF?!? More fun banter about Everest

Post by rpb13 »

My non-climbing friends always ask if Everest is my ultimate goal and are always surprised when I answer that I have no desire to ever try it. This is exactly why.
livetothemax96
14ers: 10  5  3 
13ers: 14 2 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by livetothemax96 »

rpb13 wrote:My non-climbing friends always ask if Everest is my ultimate goal and are always surprised when I answer that I have no desire to ever try it.
+1

I run into this far too often.
whats life unless you live it?
Winter8000m
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Winter8000m »

http://daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/2 ... affic-jam/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)
bearcat
14ers: 10  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bearcat »

Kiefer wrote:Anyone remember Chilkoot Pass during the Klondike Gold Rush?

Actually, scratch that. I don't think ANYONE left remembers... #-o
I just recently watched Chaplin's Gold Rush and that Everest pic made me think of the same thing.
"Onward and upward." G. Costanza
wegerje
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by wegerje »

Conga line. Congo is the country name.
cwm191
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cwm191 »

wegerje wrote:Conga line. Congo is the country name.
Are you sure? I thought it was book by Michael Crichton and a movie with Tim Curry
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain. - Friedrich Schiller

The problem with quotes on the internet is there is no way to verify their accuracy. - Abraham Lincoln
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Yea the crowds are insane but what really gets me is there are "People who have never climbed before" attempting Mt. Everest as there first climb.
Too many idiots with too much money trying to buy there way to the top of the world. This shouldn't be compared to the 96 disaster. That year people got caught in a really bad storm but this year people are climbing in normal summit conditions and the reason people are dying is because there are too many people with too little inexperience. So sad. What a disgrace to such an amazing mountain.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
milan
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by milan »

Disgusting, I love the 13ers solitude and would not change it for that mess...
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

Love your rant Noah...People always ask me the same thing and I end up wasting 20 minutes explaining to them why Everest is a ruined mountain. I also think this is disgusting.

Someday I will go to the Himalayas but there are only a few peaks I'd really like to pursue (some lower more obscure ones). Honestly, I can find far more big mountains to do in the western hemisphere even if I had five lifetimes. The majority of my mountaineering goals lie in north and south america and I have no problem with that.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

I for one still dream about climbing Everest. I know it is easy to insult these people who climb it and fork out the 50,000$ plus, but I would go tomorrow at the drop of a hat. Put me in that conga line anyday. I have been putting 25$ away every month into a mutual fund since my 16th birthday to climb this mountain. It has become more than just a mountain to me; it is a life long goal that has helped mold the choices I make. Who knows, maybe by the time I have the funds and skill, my time to climb the mountain will have passed, but I can't see why y'all feel the need to bash these folks who are living their dream. Who cares if it is their 'first' mountain!! The guides who take their money and the climber are the ones taking the risk, physical and financial and maybe even mental.

Everest is more than just a mountain, at least to me it is.
winmag4582001
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (10)

Post by winmag4582001 »

Anyone remember when you could hike to St. Marys Glacier without stepping in dog poop? I remember when Frozen Dead Guy Days was cool. Boy did that turn cheesy quickly! How about the first time you saw that camcorder video of Jeremy Jones getting chased by fifty tons of snow down a mountain? There use to be a time where in order to be taken seriously as a "guide", you must have done something outside. Now all it takes is a college degree and a AMGA certificate.
As with anything cool, it will be commercialized and fed to the masses. Everest is one of many examples. In my opinion the cool factor has been greatly deminished, but given the time, I'd try and climb it. I will continue to hike no matter how many people are doing it. I personally enjoy it.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."
tornado
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tornado »

It's a good thing that Everest isn't in Oklahoma. This is the May convergence seen commonly in chasing storms now. The photo in the article reminded me of this...