Mexican Volcanoes...drug war danger

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JDip
14ers: 13 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mexican Volcanoes...drug war danger

Post by JDip »

Granted, all those things happen here too....
But sadly, that country holds men and children hungry and desperate beyond what the U.S can comprehend. If you stay with all the tourists everything should be fine, the volcano region is usually pretty safe though. Sorry if I rained on anyones parade, but hey, the more you know, the better off you are. Maybe ill run into someone from CO this next trip there?
The_Godfather
14ers: 18 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by The_Godfather »

JDip - actually I did drink tap water there and have several times with no issues. I eat from the street vender's too with no issues.

Like I said, it is happening, and has been for generations. Is it worse than it was before? Not really. The major problem is the Zetas. They generally have no structure and really should be considered a terrorist group. Mexico City is a very large city. Stuff happens, just like in LA, Chicago, NYC. Murders, rapes, kidnappings.....they happen in the US too and all over the world. Can we agree that in Mexico you have a higher social awareness of them? In any poor country you can have people killed for what they have on their person. But that happens here too, albeit not as often. But to say that its the most dangerous place to go in the world is naive. Do you do things different than walking around here, likely. But is there placed you can be there where you feel safer than here, YES!
Summiteer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Summiteer »

Spent 8 days in Mexico climbing Pico de Orizaba in December. No problems at all with drugs or safety, other than being shaken down by federales in Mexico City for ($20) 200 pesos. Also spent a couple days in Veracruz, great town.

Contact Senior Reyes in Tlachichuca. He owns Servimont, a small guiding service, and had some of the only SAR assistance in the area. He can also drive you up to the hut at Piedra Grande. I was impressed with his knowlwdge and love for the mountain, a fourth generation climber, he is passionate about Orizaba, Popo, and Ixta, consistently petitioning the Mexican govornment for more resources and support for the climbing in Mex. His guides can even pick you up in Mexico City, which, if you aren't familiar with Mexico or Spanish, would be advisable.
JDip
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JDip »

My father is a U.S citizen who relocated to el D.F (Mexico City).
He has lived in Denver, Chicago, NY, and some city in Texas somewhere. We have family living there also. But when my dad, who travels the continent here tells me that he cannot believe the degree to which people haave sunk to just to be able to eat, its absolutely disgusting.
Things run a tad bit more intense over there. Its not always about drugs, when the government refuses to help feed starving communities, your gonna have some super, super pissed off people. Not to mention starving..and kind of driven to insanity.
I agree with you godfather, to a degree. I am simply providing my insight that you don't hear the media talking about a lot, if at all
The_Godfather
Trip Reports (0)

Post by The_Godfather »

the poverty you mention is real, and in my opinion leads to the drug issues they have. its an "easy" way to make a living when you have no other option. its not one i'd prefer or take up though.
JDip
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JDip »

The_Godfather wrote:the poverty you mention is real, and in my opinion leads to the drug issues they have. its an "easy" way to make a living when you have no other option. its not one i'd prefer or take up though.
AND that is what, aside from drug cartels, can POTENTIALLY make el D.F an especially dangerous place.

But if we let fear control what we do and how we live, then life would be quite bland and dull I think.
God's speed to all, the country itself is a beautiful place!!!
I want to know the thoughts of God. All the rest are details. -Albert Einstein

It's not the height of the mountain that makes it great, it is the mountain itself. -J.D.
The_Godfather
Trip Reports (0)

Post by The_Godfather »

JDip wrote:
But if we let fear control what we do and how we live, then life would be quite bland and dull I think.
God's speed to all, the country itself is a beautiful place!!!
+1
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

As usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle of all this rhetoric (no offense to anyone who posted).

Are many completely innocent people killed due to the drug war (sometimes even in touristy areas)? Yes. Are tourists sometimes targeted for kidnappings/etc. due to their relative wealth? Yes. Does the horrifying poverty drive many citizens to crime? Yes. Is "law enforcement" considered an entrepreneurial activity? Yes. Should any American feel less safe in Mexico (or any third-world country) because of those reasons. Yes.

Would I let it be a reason to not go there? No. Would I take some basic precautions like knowing some of the local customs and the main differences between US/Mexico laws, being very aware of my surroundings, not traveling alone, not flashing money/jewelry/pricey belongings, having plans set up ahead of time? Yes.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
Snowclimber
14ers: 38 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Snowclimber »

tx_mountain_medic wrote:Hype guys,

Just got off of a deployment with counterdrug on the sw border. Let me put it this way, you would be crazy or stupid to go to Mexico right now. It doesn't matter who you are or what you are doing, you can become a target at anytime. If you look like you might be an american or might have some kind of wealth, you will be a prime candidate for a kidnapping or robbery both of shock is likely to end badly for you. At the moment, there is no order in the organized crime world and there are a bunch of small time groups working, without orders from above,for small time cash. In Mexico city in.particular, los zetas is in direct conflict with cartel del gulfo and la familia michoacan for control of the area and the government is "fighting" all the cartels. Check out blogdelnarco.com and borderlandbeat.com if you want to see what is really going on as the mainstream media will not report the actual news for fear of reprisals from the cartels. Let's not even discuss the presence of radical Islamic groups such ad hezballah, quds force (who perpetrated the attempted assasination of a Saudi delegate in nyc with the aid of los zetas), and hamas, each of which would love to get a hold of an american..... Hope this helps in your decission making process. God luck and God bless in what ever you do!
Hmm. I did the 5 highest points in Mexico and hitchhiked much of the way between trailheads a few months ago. Only met nothing but friendly people who were open with their hospitality and kindness. I even did some solo mountain summiting in Guatemala, though would recommend that less than Mexico...Guatemala made me wish I were back in the "safety" and "predictability" of Mexico: a laughable statement if you're comparing Mexico to the USA.
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

Snowclimber wrote:
tx_mountain_medic wrote:Hype guys,

Just got off of a deployment with counterdrug on the sw border. Let me put it this way, you would be crazy or stupid to go to Mexico right now. It doesn't matter who you are or what you are doing, you can become a target at anytime. If you look like you might be an american or might have some kind of wealth, you will be a prime candidate for a kidnapping or robbery both of shock is likely to end badly for you. At the moment, there is no order in the organized crime world and there are a bunch of small time groups working, without orders from above,for small time cash. In Mexico city in.particular, los zetas is in direct conflict with cartel del gulfo and la familia michoacan for control of the area and the government is "fighting" all the cartels. Check out blogdelnarco.com and borderlandbeat.com if you want to see what is really going on as the mainstream media will not report the actual news for fear of reprisals from the cartels. Let's not even discuss the presence of radical Islamic groups such ad hezballah, quds force (who perpetrated the attempted assasination of a Saudi delegate in nyc with the aid of los zetas), and hamas, each of which would love to get a hold of an american..... Hope this helps in your decission making process. God luck and God bless in what ever you do!
Hmm. I did the 5 highest points in Mexico and hitchhiked much of the way between trailheads a few months ago. Only met nothing but friendly people who were open with their hospitality and kindness. I even did some solo mountain summiting in Guatemala, though would recommend that less than Mexico...Guatemala made me wish I were back in the "safety" and "predictability" of Mexico: a laughable statement if you're comparing Mexico to the USA.
You you are telling me you climbed Popo? I don't think so
I agree with you though that there was nothing to worry about as far as danger. I felt safe my whole trip.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
Snowclimber
14ers: 38 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Snowclimber »

Haha. Yes. I freaking climbed Popo. You think some lazy-arse Mexican rangers would stop me? Should I post pictures?
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

Well then...I know what I am doing next spring break!

Got Orizaba and Izta...time to get the third
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"