Canadian Rockies Question

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Canadian Rockies Question

Post by steelfrog »

Wow. I am reading the Don't Waste Your Time book and am SO EXCITED! The O'Hara Lake region of Yoho N.P. looks incredible. I am goign to call tomorrow to see about permits
mike offerman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 189
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mike offerman »

Glad you found the book as helpful as I have. Let us know what the park says about permits and other information you get from them.

Thanks!
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

The only way in, practically speaking, is a bus for 11km one way. That is limited in use to 42 day use per day and 30 people with campground reservations. Pretty limited. They take reservations up to 3 months in advance, so for August you are looking at needing to call in May.

Am torn between spending real time somewhere--like 2 5-day backcountry things, and wanting to hit all the parks for a couple of days each. I have found that the latter is generally not goos. Will prolly try and spend 4-5 days at Yoho and 4-5 somewhere's else yet to be identified (Robson or Kootenay or Assiniboine maybe; maybe Jasper or Banff). Anyone have any suggestions as to the best place to explore for 4-5 days? I'm pretty sold on teh O'hara Lake area of Yoho; need one more area.