Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Canadian Rockies Question

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Re: Canadian Rockies Question

Postby steelfrog » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:06 pm

Wow. I am reading the Don't Waste Your Time book and am SO EXCITED! The O'Hara Lake region of Yoho N.P. looks incredible. I am goign to call tomorrow to see about permits

Postby mike offerman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:51 pm

Glad you found the book as helpful as I have. Let us know what the park says about permits and other information you get from them.

Thanks!

Postby steelfrog » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:23 am

The only way in, practically speaking, is a bus for 11km one way. That is limited in use to 42 day use per day and 30 people with campground reservations. Pretty limited. They take reservations up to 3 months in advance, so for August you are looking at needing to call in May.

Am torn between spending real time somewhere--like 2 5-day backcountry things, and wanting to hit all the parks for a couple of days each. I have found that the latter is generally not goos. Will prolly try and spend 4-5 days at Yoho and 4-5 somewhere's else yet to be identified (Robson or Kootenay or Assiniboine maybe; maybe Jasper or Banff). Anyone have any suggestions as to the best place to explore for 4-5 days? I'm pretty sold on teh O'hara Lake area of Yoho; need one more area.

Previous