Man summits Kili, then dies

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Man summits Kili, then dies

Post by susanjoypaul »

I can't imagine a better way to kick it! Well, maybe one other way...
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

susanjoypaul wrote:I can't imagine a better way to kick it! Well, maybe one other way...
Oh, god, oh, god. OH, GOD. *plop*
EZSide
14ers: 11 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by EZSide »

We'll never know if the dream helped him to make it to 70.
"There are times when the most complicated actions are suddenly summed up, distilled, and strike you with illuminating clarity" - Maurice Herzog
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

O man, you guys are so insensitive. :wink:
moneymike
14ers: 57  57  9 
13ers: 132 123 39
Trip Reports (46)

Post by moneymike »

Barry Raven wrote:O man, you guys are so insensitive. :wink:
"Don't take life too seriously. It's only a temporary condition."

That's an awesome story!
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford

"Slow and steady wins the race (unless you're racing someone who is fast and steady)."
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

Not a bad way to cash out....although I feel sorry for the porters who had to haul him down. That's a lot of dead weight.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

I fall a lot wrote:Not a bad way to cash out....although I feel sorry for the porters who had to haul him down. That's a lot of dead weight.
I had the same thought. Sure hope I end my days on a heavily glaciated peak - one final, spectacular, post mortem glissade would definitely be in order!
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

According to the 3,000' foot rule junkies, it doesn't count because he didn't descent 3,000' (~1000 M)

Sad way to go. But happy at the same time. He died while he could still hike and had his mental faculties. Better than ending up wheelchair bound and incoherant and living to 85.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

rest in peace... odd because kili was on my mind all late last week since i summitted, it appears, possibly exactly one year before he did
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

To be even less sensitive, the guy didn't sound like a climber at all. I mean, he trained by walking around the neighborhood and climbing one 3000'-vertical class-1 hill, then dropped dead on Kili. Sorry to hear it, but they probably have a few "bucket-listers" kick it every year on that mountain.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Jim Davies wrote:
To be even less sensitive, the guy didn't sound like a climber at all. I mean, he trained by walking around the neighborhood and climbing one 3000'-vertical class-1 hill, then dropped dead on Kili. Sorry to hear it, but they probably have a few "bucket-listers" kick it every year on that mountain.
True. Do you think he was fully aware of the difficulty of the task he was going to undertake? I mean, that is like training for a marathon by running a 5k once...
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog