shorts ok in peru?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

shorts ok in peru?

Post by davebks »

Random question.. i leave in a week for my trip to peru. Are shorts ok down there? I know in Nepal, due to religious and cultural standards, no shorts were worn.
Is peru like that or am I ok with shorts?

Thanks!
mstender
14ers: 9 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Re: shorts ok in peru?

Post by mstender »

davebks wrote:Are shorts ok down there?
Yes, shorts are okay. Remember, Peru is a Catholic country...so the only place where shorts are not okay would be if you wanted to visit a church.
Enjoy your time in Peru!
"You may have passed time in happier ways, but there are other mountains to climb: you've never lived as you're living today - now is the time!"
Peter Hammill 1976
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

Great, thanks! Should be a cool trip. Machu Picchu, Tocllaraju, etc.
alpinechris
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpinechris »

Just got back from the very same itinerary. Six days in Cuzco/Machu Pichu and 5 days in Huaraz. Climbed Ishinca and Tocllaraju with my 2 teenaged sons and my baby, 38, year old brother. I'm turning 52 this summer. The climbs were a challenge for me and my brother. The boys were very strong. I learned the rest step and utilized it often. The head wall on Tocllaraju is a beast. Made the summit on Father's Day and we will never forget it. It was exhilarating! You are in for a great adventure. Shorts are okay but we never wore them. Gets cool very quickly when the sun goes down. Enjoy!

PS: Alpaca was delicious, Cui [guinea pig] not so good.
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

alpinechris wrote: PS: Alpaca was delicious, Cui [guinea pig] not so good.
Ha! Our oldest son is working at an orphanage now in Cusco, but he spent a night in the clinic this weekend after some local food turned him into a 5-foot-11 volcano. He blames the guinea pig. Cipro: the miracle drug!
mstender
14ers: 9 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mstender »

Oh, I forgot to mention this too. I would be less worried about shorts than stomach bugs. I turned into a dribbling mess at the base camp of Pichu Pichu which is about a 4 hour drive on a bad dirt road from Arequipa. That was not a lot of fun. :evil: Cipro was the answer. Get a prescription here, even though you can buy it down there but the quality is not the same according to my wife who is a pharmacist and from Peru.
"You may have passed time in happier ways, but there are other mountains to climb: you've never lived as you're living today - now is the time!"
Peter Hammill 1976
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

thanks. I have tons of cipro im bringing with. it is a lifesaver! almost literally.
fingers are crossed i wont need it, but you know, I probably will :)
made it until the very last night in nepal (a full month) before I got hit. i mean... a whole trip and bam, the last night.... guess nothing is perfect, just almost perfect :)